Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant mamma's  (Read 11032 times)

HappyHippy

Pregnant mamma's
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:10 am »
We have 5 expectant girls at the moment, but one of them is a new Kunekune sow, 'Buttercup', who's only been with us a few weeks and is closest to farrowing (at least that's what I think, she came to me in-pig and the dates of service were hazy)

So after my feeding, watering and cleaning in the shed this morning I went for the usual piggy-human bonding session with her (I tell Bruce it's really important I do it so the sow trusts me before she farrows, really it's just an excuse for extra time for piggy cuddles  ;))

She's such a sweetie and stands for ages getting her belly rubbed and me cuddling her, though doesn't roll over onto her side the way the rest of mine do - with time I think she'll learn though  ;) I reckon she's about a week away, her belly has dropped and the udder is filling but no signs of colostum yet. She's got a massive baby bulge and this morning I felt the piglets moving and kicking really clearly, this is the first time I've been so aware of it - think it's because I stand and cuddle her rather than her lying down. It made me feel really great, there's nothing (except my family, obviously) that brings a smile to my face and fills me with so much joy as my pigs  ;D

That is all, just wanted to share the love  :hug:
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pregnant mamma's
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:29 am »
Awwww  :-* :love: :pig:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:44:11 am »
Ah how sweet
Sounds like Xmas babies to me HH :excited:
 :fc:  all goes well
Mandy :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »
 :thumbsup: yep, morning of the 25th December.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »
Can you manage farrowing in between cooking the christmas turkey?  ;D
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »
Nah, surely not ! Who'd be daft enough to have a baby on the 25th  ::) :innocent: :roflanim:

They'll come when they're ready I'm sure - til then I'll try to be patient and not go on about them too much  :excited:

Sally, I've never tried before  :thinking: But I'm game for anything  :thumbsup:  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:40 pm »
I used to do much the same with my in foal mares, Feeling the foal kicking always made me feel good and I often so to sing when brushing the mares. I am sure the new born foals knew my voice.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:28:37 pm »
Lovely image :love:  I can't wait till the day we do this. Not even going to attempt it though until the weather picks up.  :raining:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »
Super  :love: HH.  When you can get this close to them, it just takes everything to a different level.  I have really savoured my time with our Hampshire sows a couple of months ago.  I feel like I can trust them a whole lot more now.

We've 3 large black sows due too.  Unfortunately the one that is the furthest along, and looked ABSOLUTELY HUGE!!! tonight won't let me touch her belly.  She loves a lovely back massage, a good chat etc but she really doesn't like my hands touching her beautiful belly.  In theory they should all be along by the ummmm 17th.   Can't see it happening with the other 2 and reckon we may well be in for some Xmas piggies as well.  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:28:29 pm »
Might these be our piggies?

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:15 am »
Might these be our piggies?
Indeed they might  ;)
I'll wait to see how they look when she farrows and send you some photo's  :excited:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:56:23 pm »
 :excited: Christmas piglet piccies   :fc:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:18:16 pm »
Sound so wonderful Karen and can't wait to see photos. New born KKs must be amongst the cutest things ever ;D ;D ;D

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »
Bonding is so important. Hope she farrows before you start cooking!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:58 am »
Well, something is different this morning  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Buttercup (KK sow) lay down for a belly rub for the first time  :thumbsup: (only sitting up a bit if I stopped  ::)) she's gathered all her straw into a big nest and her udder is fit to burst  ;D No sign of milk yet though, but I doubt she'll hang on much longer ;)

Poppy (our OSB) is also pretty stressy this morning and wasn't happy at all with us being in the pen (needless to say I've not had a feel of her udder) I've administered 2 beers and will sneak in for a feel once she's passed out  :innocent: ;)

Will keep you all posted  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS