Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compost and compost bins  (Read 13008 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Compost and compost bins
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:56 pm »
Well my compost bin is now full after 2 years of putting things in, but there's no compost, just lots of stuff and slugs.

I spoke to a friends very green fingered father who suggested I'd been putting the wrong things in.

I'm wanting to get another bin set up next to the old one, try and get it 'right' and give the old one time to do it's stuff (maybe after pulling out some bits that aren't breaking down and getting the OH to add his pee!

Problem is I'm slightly confused as to what to get (and also slightly put off by some of the incredible prices). The one I have currently is a black plastic one, shaped a bit like a Dalek, which I got through a council offer. I've also seen the wooden slatted ones and various other designs. Does anyone have thoughts on them?

The heap will be visable from the kitchen window so don't think OH will go for an uncovered heap.

And does anyone know of anyone on line with decent deals?

Thank you all in advance

Dans - longing for the day when she can't start contributing more than questions!
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
The black plastic ones are crap really . I have about 8 of them and just use  them to put ragwort in till it is dry , then i burn the ragwort .
 Compost heaps are better if they are about 3 or 4 feet sq . Second hand pallets work well as sides , or make your own out of sawn timber .
Can't recomend any makes as i have never bought one , i was given the black plastic ones .

deepinthewoods

Re: Compost and compost bins
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:05 pm »
4 ft cube is the optimum size for a compost bin, 'dalek' type are anaerobic composters more likely to end up as green sludge whereas pallet style compost bins compost aerobically to give you proper lovely black soil. be careful how you mix it, much better to build a whole heap in one go then cap it off. this way it will generate its own heat which kills of weed roots and seeds, i had my spring one up to 72deg c.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »
See this link on how to build one using pallets.  To make something a bit more attractive, we made a very large one using broken old shed panels to contain our muck heap (and keep our dogs off!!).

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/basics/how-to-build-a-compost-bin/87.html

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »
Ok dense question  :dunce:

How do you go one all in one go? Do you store the material up somewhere else. Ours is filled with kitchen scraps and garden waste. Could I get a pallety one (I'm confident that is the technical term  :innocent:) and then transfer the stuff from my Dalek into that to do an all in one go - removing any non-compostable stuff I have in there.

Thanks guys

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:11 pm »
I agree with what everyone has written.  A bin made of pallets is affordable and effective and if the OH is worried about its looks - well, let him paint the outside a jolly colour  :thumbsup:

For filling it up all in one go, I have found that you can in fact fill it up bit by bit then once it's full scrape it all out, then turn it as you refill and add 'activator' ie urine (which you can collect for a few days before hand) and grass clippings to each layer.  That will heat it up and you will reach the temps you want.  Maybe your neighbours would like to give you their grass clippings, but make sure they haven't used any chemicals on the lawn.

Leave out woody stalks and if you add citrus peel make sure it goes right in the middle as it rots more slowly than other stuff.

And always travel with a bag and a small shovel, in case you find horse droppings in the road........ :roflanim:   :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:29 pm »
i spend a day gathering it all up, do loads of strimming etc, then add a good load of straw and horse/sheep/pig/chicken manure, add paper, cardboard etc, i used to do layers of stuff but russ correctly pointed out it doesnt rot down as well so i mix it all up now. you can fill a heap one day, then keep adding as it sinks down. you dont want it too dry.so add water. i use sheep dagging stew!

i made about 1/4 ton this year like this.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:43 pm »
Excellent, thank you all  :trophy:

This and raised beds shall be my next gardening challenge

Very last question. I looked at the link and the sides of the pallets didn't seem to be lined, do they need to be or does this help it breathe? And is a bit of old carpet good for the top.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »
dont line the bin, you need as much airflow as possible to allow the bacteria to fix nitrogen out of the air, carpet isnt ideal as most of it degrades, a bit of board or heavy black plastic over the top. hessians good too.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »
You can do a bit of woodwork and move the inner slats to fill in the gaps on the outside, or cannibalise some more pallets.  There's still enough air for the heap to breathe.  Turning it will add more air.

Stinky old felted fleeces are great for covering the heap. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:11:53 pm »
Ok, very very last question. Where on earth do you get pallets from? I've been googling but mainly seems to be large companies providing to hauler companies.

Didn't see any on Gumtree. Going to post on my local freegle/freecycle.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:01 pm »
Try factories around the area. They pay to have pallets taken so are glad for a free clear out  ;)
We get a constant supply this  way which has built full fencing around allotments, compost bins and a chicken coop as well as keeping the log stove burning  ;D ( until we pulled it out to replace 3weeks ago, just in time for the freeze  :rant: )

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:03:18 am »
Pallet compost bins are brilliant. We have several just tied together with bale string at the corners. If you ask at your local garden centre or feed supplier they will have a stack of "broken" or odd sized pallets that the have trouble getting rid of and will be only too glad for you to take some away.

the great composto

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:29 am »
I find you need 2 compost bins because it needs turning regularly.  If you turn it to introduce air it will break down much more quickly.
Never had a problem finding pallets while driving through industrial areas - just ask - they are normally happy to get rid of them.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 10:15:15 am »
I'd give putting kitchen scraps that have food waste in them in it or you'll have rats, veg peelings are ok but not leftovers. Check round local building sites for pallets OH is a builder and we have loads which get used for all sorts of things. I seem to remember a book on building things with pallets was out a while ago  :thinking:  feel an xmas pressie coming on............
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS