Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agri or turf tyres on small tractor ?  (Read 7192 times)

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
Agri or turf tyres on small tractor ?
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:45:21 pm »
I was speaking to a smallholder last week who is up-sizing from his Kubota to a Land Legend ( Yanmar ).  He specified turf tyres on the new tractor, as the agri tyres on his previous model chewed up his pasture too much.

How do turf tyres cope in mud ?  Obviously not for ploughing,  but for pulling a trailer through muddy gates or maybe on cultivated ground with a rotovater fitted ?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Agri or turf tyres on small tractor ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Turf tyres are for golf course and playing fields.

Agri tyres every time (IMHO) unless you have a mansion with manicured lawns in Surrey.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:47:17 am »
Turf tyres are for golf course and playing fields.

Agri tyres every time (IMHO) unless you have a mansion with manicured lawns in Surrey.
Ditto........turf tyres don't do mud...full stop!
mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »
Turf tyres will be hopeless in mud or even on wet grass if it's sloping. Our tractor does far less damage to the ground than our land rover due to the tractor tyres not spinning and chewing the grass up. You might get away with it dependent on your type of ground but as soon as you start trying to move heavy trailers etc turf tyres will be found wanting.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »
There is another choice - the R4 tyre used in the construction industry.  It's shaped like the R2 Ag tyre but much less deep cut.  Turf tyres are utterly useless on grass that's merely heard it raining in the next county.  And worse in mud. 

The current tractor arrived with R4s fitted and I'm really pleased. Might be less happy without 4wd though

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
Thanks people,  that's pretty much what I thought.  I have full mud tyres on my 4x4 and it's useless on wet long grass,  although OK in mud.  I'll get agri tyres on my tractor.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:34 am »
Yes to back that up until recently I had BFG mud tyres on my Landy which are said to be the best you can buy. Well not in my wet clay they're not!. Once the treads get filled with mud you effectively have slick tyres on. Our 2wd tractor can be difficult to steer on a sideways slope due to the front sliding around I have to use the brakes to swing it round sometimes. 4wd would obviously make things a lot easier.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
always used worn out agri tyres so as long as you arent ploughing you should be fine and when it comes to mucking out you wont pull out a load in the tyres  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS