Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new pup to established cat  (Read 8434 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Introducing new pup to established cat
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »
He looks gorgeous but don't be fooled by the innocent face. Their sole purpose in life is to chew as many objects as they can find and leave the house looking like a tip  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 05:43:37 pm »
just been to a pet shop (looked in disgust at 8 huge bunnies tightly packed into a small space  :rant: and then onto the doggy area)
we now have bowls, lead, a toy pheasant that parps rather than makes a shrill squeak (!) a kong, treats, food, a stocking from santa, poo bags,  one of those balls in a sling shot type things, a teething ring toy and...a leaflet on caring for your pup which my 2 eldest are currently studying and I shall test them on later  ;D 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:16 pm »
He looks really cute.  We had our current dog when he was 12 weeks old.  He only had one accident in the house (he had an upset tum) and never chewed anything.  Guess we were lucky. He is a handful in lots of ways though, even now ..... at 7 years old.

Have lots of fun and enjoy him. I bet your girls are sooooo excited.  :dog: :dog: :dog:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:39:08 am »
Heis absolutely gorgeous  :love:

Sounds like Christmas is arriving early at your house  :excited: Need a spoilt puppy emotio  :roflanim:

Im also a great believer in indoor cage training. It helps in busy homes where pup can have a time out area to play and chew appropriate items in a safe place while you are busy.  It can be a godsend at times, and less damage to your property at those terrible teen chewing stages  ::)
 ( of which I'm just getting past with our GSD puppy, who is now 15 months old. )

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:46:06 am »
I am another one for the cage training. I was luckily enough to be given a cage and found it a god send.
He knew it was his place, in fact, still does, even though he really is too big for it now.
He never soiled the cage and would go there when he was really tired and wanted some peace. So it would be a good respite from your children. It is also a safe place to shut him in during the night or when you might not be able to keep an eye on him.
I am sure you are all going to have great fun with him.  :dog:
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 09:05:30 am »
He's adorable  :love: :dog:

You'll make a good job of him, plums, and the cat will show him who's boss. 

It's lovely if they do make friends, but I think it's easier for that to happen when a kitty joins the household where there's already a dog knows how to be with cats.  Jacob :cat: used to curl up next to Horace's big hairy paws, and pull H's big hairy tail over him like a duvet  :love:  When Horace :dog: died, Jacob mourned harder and longer than I did  :'(

My first cat, Mix, had a way with dogs.  He was best buddies with my dog at the time, they used to go on adventures together  ::).  One day a friend visited with her huge GSD, Cane.  Mix was asleep on the back of the sofa in the window, his favourite spot, where he could see most of what was going on in the house and also what was happening in the close.  Cane spied Mix and started to bounce towards him - it was a 'through lounge' so it was 30' or so from one end to the other.  Cane got halfway up the lounge, Mix opened one eye and LOOKED  >:(.  Brakes on, skidding halt, Cane turned and walked away  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 10:13:04 am »
Thanks everyone for your encouraging messages  :thumbsup: really appreciate your help and tips and there will be plenty of questions coming (I'm afraid!!) been a long time since a)I owned a dog and b) I've never owned a dog with livestock before, new challenge!

Strange stuff going on downstairs....my husband (as many of you will know) doesn't really 'do' animals. But he is beavering about making a little indoor kennel for night-time out of a walk in larder room that is currently only used to house my dirty washing bins. It will be like the dogs 'cage/crate' and his place to go for peace and quiet and where his bed will be.  He's putting up stair gates and arranging food bowls and when I said I'd spent a fair bit on new equipment he said "I'm not worried, we needed it all...". errrrr I think he might be looking forward to our new dog.
Murphy  :love:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:16:24 am »
Can't see the Sammy in him but he looks lovely :love:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »
Plums I think its great that your husband is looking forward to having the puppy. Maybe its just the start of something more?  Lets hope so.
Sally

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »
Well...he's here!!

nice car journey home, quiet and no dog sick (always a bonus)   he's had a sniff round, he's had a smack from the cat. she is now upstairs, he is downstairs. He's seen his new toys and his crate in his little 'room'. been round the garden, saw a goat - didn't like it much  ;D

He sits when we ask him to already - result!

All very happy. Hubby just gone to collect my 2 youngest from their grans' house - can't wait to see them all meet as they've not even seen the puppy *Murphy yet.  Scarlett is nearly 6 and has been scared of dogs for all her life until the past few months where she has learnt to be with them so we feel confident now.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »
Sounds good, can't wait for the next instalment
Sally

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »
If the pup tries to chase cats, how do you deal with that behaviour? is it a case of keeping them on a lead to start with or does that just encourage them to chase soon as they are off again? Thanks Sabrina  :)
Due to Jake our jack russell knowing not to chase cats this helps but as the cats are so used to dogs they do not run away. I have never kept a puppy on the lead around our animals. The chickens turn and face the dogs if they get too close and the ponies would soon chase a pup if it tried anything. Jake once got in beside the pigs. they thought he was a new playmate and he got himself in a right panic. Never went near the pigs again.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »
Slightly different problem in that the cat is chasing the dog  :-\  hopefully this will soon settle down, poor thing has some war wounds. We are giving the cat loads of treats and attention so she's not pushed out ....fingers crossed!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »
Murphy looks gorgeous!  Just be careful that the cat isn't allowed to lash out at the pup - they can catch the eyes with their claws and lead to loss of eye & huge vets bills (happened to someone at work  :( )
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »
Thanks Shep - will take that on board. Its quite scary how she is going for him, he does have a crate to escape to but he's not using it. Feeling a bit stressed (and guilty) - just posted in the sheep area too as we had a sheepy issue. Oh dear  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS