Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new pup to established cat  (Read 8418 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Introducing new pup to established cat
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »
Realistically how hard is it? I've fallen in love with a pup. Have been researching dogs for a while and waited till my youngest is nearly 6. Don't want to put the cat's nose out of joint and would be devastated if she ran off or got hurt on the road as so many of my others did ...but I equally would like to have a dog around again for lots of good reasons.
Has anyone had any total failures at bringing a new pup in with an established cat? (she is 3 the cat)  I'm expecting some scratched noses and pecking order type scraps but just wanted some opinions from you please.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Introducing new pup to established cat
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:34 pm »
Never had a problem with a new pup as out cats have been used to dogs. I have strict rules that I never feed both in the same room, pup is never aloud to chase the cats or any other of our animals and so far all goes well.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »
If the pup tries to chase cats, how do you deal with that behaviour? is it a case of keeping them on a lead to start with or does that just encourage them to chase soon as they are off again? Thanks Sabrina  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:45 pm »
Just got a new pup, had her 2 and a half weeks, I've also got an 18 try old cat.

We made sure cat was in the house when the pup came home, and that the cat got to see the pup in the crate first and then , to be honest, after half an hour it was sort it out between yourselves

The pup chases the cat, the cat batters the dog, the dog backs off
If the dogs getting too boisterous for her, the cat just goes vertically upwards, shelves, furniture etc

Non of established dogs, 3 of them, chase the cat, they're too scared of her, any other cat though is fair game as far as they're concerned

To be honest you'll be watching every minute at first for nothing other than toilet training reason, so you can modify behaviour between them if its getting out if hand, we always worked on the principle that the cat had. Safe area and the pup gets put in its crate or its puppy pen if its getting too excited

Just go for it, there's nothing nicer than seeing a cat and a lurcher curled up in front of the fire

I'd second the food thing though, we feed the cat on the work top in the utility room well out of the way of the dogs, and she has a separate water dish and a bed up there too
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:21:14 pm by Alistair »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:46:22 pm »
Our cats have the "Cats' Cupboard", under the eaves, where the litter tray is, food and water. There's a cat flap in so the cats can get food at any time.

I've never done it your way round but have brought cats, big and small, into he house. Our dogs were about nine months old when we got our first cat. We used a puppy cage so that they could see each other but Cass terrified the dogs, so it wasn't an issue. By the time we got kittens, the dogs were "cat - tame".

What kind of dog are you planning to get?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »
Agree with all Alistair says.  Introduce them in the house, let them sort it out.  My cat, Rio, is the boss over my three dogs, but never once has he touched any of them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »
So it is perfectly workable and won't neccessarily end in disaster? good good!

Its a friend, she has a litter of a rather bizarre parentage mix but the pups are lovely looking and I know they've been looked after well. They are also used to living on a small holding. When I tell you they are Samoyed/Terrier cross you will giggle  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »
 ::) :o :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
Wow Sammi x terrier! NEED PIC!!! :) 

Beware of high pray drive on both sides.. But I have 3 dogs- lurcher x, collie x and terrier all have strong hunt instincts, but the cats rule the house!

Allow the cat to have space away from pup, if pup chases cat then few secs (20-30 seconds) timeout in another room behind closed door. Just to say, if you want to spend time with us, and the cat is in the room then its not polite to chase it. Yes you may need pup to trail a lead so u can grab it, stand on it (if small pup put lead on a harness so you don't jar neck) etc.

If you work on rewarding focus on you and coming away from stuff is fun, then you will be able to recall away from cat even mid chase. See Susan Garrets website- Say Yes. Her recallers webinare is great. She is an amazing agility/flyball etc handler- world champ- because her dogs have great focus and work ethic.

I played her crate games and did other focus work with my JRT pup- he has amazing recall away from squirrels etc. At 2 he has the usual teenage issues, and he has started chasing one of the cats, but I can recall him and am going back to square one with focus and manors.

Really need pics!!!!!!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:53:16 am »
My cat was 10 when I bought the new pup home. Pup wanted to play cat just ran for her life. We lived for a few months trying to keep them seperate but now just let them get on with it.
The cat is fed out of reach of the dog but other than that we don't do anything special other than the cat flap. The cat had always been used to going in and out of the cat flap but unfortunately I can't leave the flap open because the dog can get out. We had several accidents at first and I also bought back a litter tray for a while but now the cat 'asks' to go out and lets herself back in through the flap which is set to work one way only.
The cat is wary of the dog, now 14 months old, but actually the cat rules. If the dog comes near she just spits at him and he backs off.  I would love to see them curled up together one day but somehow I can't see it happening.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:28:52 am »
Never had a problem introducing dogs to cats, so long as the cats have an escape route!  But if you are training as you should be, you should be able to stop your pup from chasing.  I have to know where he is and what my pup is doing at all times!  He has understood the word 'No!' from the start, it's the one I most commonly use  ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »

here's a pic taken by the lady who owns the mum and dad. Been to meet him today with hubby and 2 kids - all of us are very taken. He has a very calm and sweet nature and it was nice to meet the mum and dad too. He will be coming home to us tomorrow!

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »
That's fantastic, he looks amazing

Can I have him?

"He has a very calm and sweet nature "

Haaaa - he's a puppy, do not be deceived, I'm playing off ground tick in my house, as is everyone else, toes and puppies is a recipe for much amusement
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:32:08 pm by Alistair »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »
noooooo - don't burst my bubble that all will be 100% calm and very easy (only kidding, I know we have a few changes and challenges ahead!)

he's cute isn't he? big paws!

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
He's gorgeous  :love: , rest assured he won't be anywhere near as naughty as my Australian Cattle Dog pup who's sole purpose in life at the mo is to seek out naughtiness  ;D he even has a naughty face  :stir:

Yours on the other hand looks so innocent  :eyelashes:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS