Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallenberg again  (Read 25368 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Smallenberg again
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:48 am »
Thanks for pasting the link Raine!  Yes it is all a bit worrying, hoping most peoples lambings won't be affected.  Not sure if it was mainly the earlier lambing flocks last year.   Well we have just started lambing this morning a nice set of healthy twins, so a good start which is a bit of a relief, not due any more for a couple of weeks or so and should then start to get busy.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:02 am »
First information about SBV suggested first month of pregnancy was the key period.  Just read in our vet's monthly newsletter that they reckon it's the first 7 weeks.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:01 am »
to be honest that would make more sense :( there appear to be far too many lambs affected for such a small window of oppertunity.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »
Had a visit from a neighbouring farmer this evening.  He's got SBV in his pedigree suffolks lambing now and also said another neighbour lost a cow because they couldn't deliver a calf with it.
So it's got to the middle of Wales. :(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »
Any schmallenberg reports from anyone this month?  Have the number of incidents dropped?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »
I think they have dropped as predicted. We are about to start lambing our commercial flock so fingers crossed all is alright. We have a couple of ewes off colour at the moment but that could be any number of things mostly from just being a sheep! they do love to keep you on your toes.
Looking forward to my interupted sleeping pattern and early morning lambings though to be fair these girls just tend to get on with it and all i have to do is checked lambies have sucked.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »
Had no sign of it in my lot, finished a week ago.  :excited:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »
I'm a gluten for the scaremongeing - but its looking good here too :)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:21 pm »
I was really worrying about SBV as we had some ewes reabsorbing and a handful barren at scanning, not sure if these had it and dealt with it by losing the lambs, according to the scanner it was circulating in our area at the time. However so far have had 32 ewes lamb and have 70 lambs born on the ground, no lamb losses or still borns etc and no deformaties. We have one lamb that is a bit slow so maybe did suffer some brain damage, whether due to SBV who knows, he is having to be bottle fed as he didn't work out his mum could supply him with milk(!), but growing well. Hopefully all bodes well for the remaining ewes now.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 11:16:39 am »
my landlord has 300 head and has lots 18% so he says.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 07:46:04 am »

All of us shepherds\shepherdess are very nervous when this tread appears again, and with such a awful disease about we are all a bit more anxious than normal at this time  :-\ .

-our local livestock market has had heavy in lamb ewes selling for just the cull value of the ewe!!

- SBV is still affecting local flocks ,but maybe with less impact than last year, with farming  friends saying that they have had  fewer deformed lambs  this  year - when some flocks were devastated by the virus last year.

I have great empathy with those dealing with the problem - a friend has just had a cow shot, as the calf could not be delivered in its twisted position  :'(

My News on this farm is good , we have almost finished lambing now :relief: , in the region of 150 ewes producing a bumper crop of strong healthy lambs  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: ...........................................  :D ,and only one slightly deformed lamb, which was born with its tail stuck to its body And a lot of skin missing off its back ,but although it looks unpleasant has survived and grown well :) .

I can only surmise our flock has been subjected too a lot of midges ,being on low lying marshes,and gained immunity over the last couple of summers.

So I am wishing all of you, yet to lamb, good luck  :fc: ,- and healthy bouncing lambs  ;D

Tilly  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:45:40 pm by Tilly »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS