Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallenberg again  (Read 25365 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Smallenberg again
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:47:45 am »
Well it looks like we been cursed again. Hubby just lambed a shearling with a smallenberg lamb.
Lamb had head fused backwards and twisted front legs he unfortunately pulled one front leg off trying to get it out. He finally got his hand on the back legs and manipulated lamb around and got it out. Very dead. Has fused long neck extra long back legs, one is not jointed properly and head is fused around to one side. Jaw is parrot mouthed.
The afterbirth is white??? very strange not had that before.
We phoned VLA they don't want it as it is not the first this year, apparently poll dorsets have been hit first and also the government has cut the funding to test for these lambs, so they can only take a small quota. Nice of the Government to do that looking after the farmer again.
Anyway vet has confirmed Smallenberg by a visual, but to be honest we saw it such a lot last year it can't be anything else.
Ewe is a bit in shock, she had such a time of it, so we will have to give her some TLC over the next few days.
4 lambs born other than that, everyone of those ok, so this must be a ewe that didn't get bitten last year. Just hope she's a one off!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Smallenberg again
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:54:29 am »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:  Sorry Feldar.   :fc:  that you have no more, must be awful to deal with.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:23 am »
So sorry. Just hope this is the only one.
4 pet sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
Very sorry to hear you've had this again this year. :(

I think the rest of us (non-early lambers) are praying dearly that we tupped late enough to miss the midges, or that our girls got infected pre-tupping.  :fc:

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:29 am »
Damn sorry to read that, hope I never see one, that's probably a forlorn hope though :-\

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:39:33 am »
(((((Hugs))))) sorry to hear that,  midges still flying here :(
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:00 am »
Really bad news.  So sorry that this happened again to you  :bouquet:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 11:54:51 am »
Sorry to hear about that feldar  :bouquet:    :fc: she's the only one somehow didn't get bitten before she was tupped.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
Had two born this morning with it - extra joints, fused joints, under-bite, twisted spine. One delivered by herself, the other needed assistance. Thought at one point I was lambing him sideways as the front leg wasn't attached to the shoulder blade. Two weeks early too.

We're near Wincanton for what it's worth - don't know if anyone else is near us and due to lamb soon.

Devastated.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »
How awfull, poor ewes having to go through all that and how hard for you all having dead lambs  :bouquet:

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »
Just saw this thread and my heart sank, so so sorry guys....not nice  :hug:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »
So sorry that this is hitting you guys again  :-*

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »
There's a case in Somerset a friend of ours has had to lamb 3 ewes with problems. 2 had dead twisted lambs and the third had live not so bad lambs but they have since died. So i'm afraid this dam disease is here to stay. We have a ewe due soon who had SBV lambs last year so it will be interesting to see what she has this year, will keep you posted

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 04:32:28 pm »
I'd heard it is all over the south west now.

From what I understand, there may be a vaccine by next year. I wonder if it is now endemic in our midges, if it is, I suppose most animals will get bitten when the midges first come out, which this year was probably late, but in 'normal' years could be early enough to make sure the early lambers avoid it. I can't imagine what a bloody nightmare it will be at lambing outdoors.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 06:26:23 pm »
So sorry to read this Feldar & TheC.- especially after what you went through last year Feldar - keeping all my finger  :fc:  for all of you out there lambing
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS