Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butchery books  (Read 2661 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Butchery books
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:29 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good book for novices to butcher own carcasses? Also smoking, curing etc. looking for a pressure for OH. Thought about a course but quite expensive and not sure which would be best.

Suggestions gratefully received

HappyHippy

Re: Butchery books
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:43:23 am »
I don't know of any butchery books (cos I've never really looked), but there are 2 great charcutterie books I would recomend.

The first is 'Charcutterie - The craft of salting, smoking and curing' by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Rolycyn and the second is 'The manual of a traditional bacon curer' by Maynard Davies.

The bacon curer's manual is more technical, whereas the charcutterie one is written by a couple of chefs who are real foodies - both are packed with receipes and ideas  :thumbsup: If I was buying only the one - it'd be the first  ;)
Karen  :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
For basic butchery, the River Cottage big Meat book is very good, esp at understanding the overlaps between different joints and their names, they also have a good poster showing all the cuts in A3 size.
Lots of good recipes too, including for offal

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »
+1 for the River Cottage Meat book.

Another charcuterie classic is by Grigson called French Charcuterie and Pork Cookery.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS