Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: looking for brown sheep  (Read 12949 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: looking for brown sheep
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »
Shetland Moorit, Castlemilk Moorit (horned, the most elegant sheep you can find :)), Manx Loaghtan (can be 4-horned) - all lovely, all can be tamed, all should cope with a Southdown tup, although I have to say mine are all getting a Shetland tup for their first lambs (tupping as shearlings) and I'll try a Southdown or similar later on.

A relative works where they have 4 Zwartbles as pet lawnmowers, they are not only tame they are trained to pull a carriage!   Pause the video on this page at 1:08 - 1:10 if you don't believe me!

Supposedly the Zwartbles fleece is black, but the sun bleaches it to dark brown - much as it does Hebrideans, I think?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
[size=78%]fleece is black, but the sun bleaches it to dark brown[/size]

Ditto for Black Welsh Mountain, bleaches to a copper tone.  Would you prefer a colouring changing sheep? - black or brown depending on the season ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »
Yes, the Shetlands change colour too, the Warm Blacks to a dark brown and the Moorits to a sort of surf-bum blonde  :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »
<< Supposedly the Zwartbles fleece is black, but the sun bleaches it to dark brown - much as it does Hebrideans, I think?>>

It's really just the tips which are bleached brown - deep in the fleece it's still black and after shearing you have a black sheep not a brown.

The situation with Hebs is apparently different.   Many also have weathered wool tips, but in addition there is thought to be a brown gene, so there are fairly black Hebs (which are plain-chocolate brown when you look closely) and there are much browner Hebs.  The brown type are frowned on by the showing fraternity, so most people pretend they don't have any.   I have some  ;D :thumbsup:
The tendency to bleach also seems to be genetic as some families do it and some don't.
With Hebs there is also a 'silver' type, which is a bit like the body markings of a katmoget Shetland ie black face, belly, tail and chest, but with a silvered 'rug' thrown over its back.  Again frowned on by the showing fraternity but visible in the photo of the first known flock of Hebs, so an ancient characteristic - nothing to do with choosing a brown sheep  :surrender: :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »
Ah yes, I didn't really consider the rarity aspect of the brown Wensleydales, just remembered a friend showing me the brown Wensleydale fleece she was almost wetting herself with excitement over  ;D . She'd waited quite a while for it. It WAS stunning. I love how the black sheep get all coppery at the fleece tips. We've got a black Shetland, Rosie, here to put our black Gotland ram to whilst her mojo is working. It took a while for her mojo to come to the fore. I thought she'd left it behind at her owners, but, the last raddle colour went on last week and she has a gloriously red arse to go with her black fleece with coppery overtones. Quite a fetching look actually  ;D

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »
Here we have before and after!! Super fleece with excellent crimp.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »
Yes, you can get coloured Wensleydales, but we're really talking hens teeth there. Beautiful, enormous and as rare as.....an honest politician  ;)

Not that rare....several years ago i bought a whole group of them off a local farmer! He had bought them not knowing what on earth they were :roflanim:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »
Talking sun-faded...  my Castlemilk Moorits look golden toffee-coloured; when you clip them it's a rich deep chocolate cake brown underneath.  Most of my wee clip is stored in the dark but I've had a chunk of fleece lying about in daylight just to see... and it is undoubtedly fading.  The tips are still lighter than the body, but the body is now coffee-with-just-a-splash-of-milk rather than rich deep chocolate cake brown.

So my question is... the other sheep who get the sunbleached tips - does the spun yarn fade over time, do your jumpers get lighter in colour as they're worn?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 01:20:42 am »
<<So my question is... the other sheep who get the sunbleached tips - does the spun yarn fade over time, do your jumpers get lighter in colour as they're worn?>>

Now there's a question  ;D   You'll have to spin and knit one Sally, then check it every year for fading.   I think it may well depend on if you wear it outside in the sun, or under a coat or always indoors...............most fading on the sheep takes place in the summer, when we don't tend to wear jumpers.

I was told when my children were babies not to hang their tiny white woolly cardigans on the line as they would turn yellow - which they did.  I wonder if that is the same thing.  Do white sheep go yellow in the sun?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 07:30:17 am »
The brown type are frowned on by the showing fraternity, so most people pretend they don't have any.   I have some  ;D :thumbsup:

Fleecewife you sound like a bit of a rebel  :roflanim:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:22 am »
The brown type are frowned on by the showing fraternity, so most people pretend they don't have any.   I have some  ;D :thumbsup:

Fleecewife you sound like a bit of a rebel  :roflanim:
Sally

:eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes:

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
Interesting re the brown type of Hebridean, I always thought that they were more black/grey compared to Zwartbles.  Is it right that if you breed a heb to a white sheep then the progeny will be white? If so definately different colour genetics going on as with Zs you always get a brown sheep with the first cross.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:04 am »
Certainly with Shetlands, white 'covers' all other colour combinations.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 11:38:13 am »
If so definately different colour genetics going on as with Zs you always get a brown sheep with the first cross.

Fascinating thing genetics - does it make a difference if it's the ewe or the ram who is the Zwartbles?  I've bred my Zwartbles ram for the first time this year to a few white commercials as well as Zwartbles ewes, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out.  So long as they are healthy and don't die I'm not bothered!

Interestingly I have a brown Ryeland ram whose lambs are always white, he is bred with Charollais, Welsh mules and cross breeds.  The lambs are occasionally born with a few brown spots but these disappear once they grow.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:17 am »
Supposedly the Zwartbles fleece is black, but the sun bleaches it to dark brown - much as it does Hebrideans, I think?

The fleece of a Zwartbles must be like some 'black' horses who have the fading black gene as opposed to nonfading.  I have Dales ponies who tend to go brownish in the summer, but there are some who stay pure black.  I was told that the ones who fade have a 'fading black' gene, these are affected by sun/weather conditions whereas the pure (nonfading) blacks aren't and stay jet black.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS