Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mini Shetland Ponies  (Read 22835 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Mini Shetland Ponies
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
if theres only you, you could also google saddlechariot and see if that takes your fancy for some XC!
had to post this - prob standard rather than mini shetland but this is a good reason why people love their shetlands!!!! :thumbsup: :roflanim:
[FUNNY/BLOOPER] Flip going NUTS!!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »
Great!  Loved that thanks!  Our two do a bit of that but not quite so manic, that would certainly work any treats off!  Many thanks  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »
Just found this Amanda congratulations, we have a Shetland just now too for Katie to ride .her name is Peggy and she has had laminitis so we have to be very careful about letting her get  to much grass in fact she spent most of the summer just wandering around the drive and yard and still found enough to eat. When she was eventually allowed into the big field she was only out for a few hours with a muzzle on.
Every morning as she goes out I feel her feet to see if there is any heat in them as this is one of the first signs of laminitis.
When Katie was younger we had a miniature who drove, his little cart and harness came from Robinsons.
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:20 am »
Thanks Anne, I'm just getting used to the concept of starving such big animals, they look like they should eat lots to be that strong.  Think I'll get our farrier neighbour over to check on them although was told that was done recently, but as laminitis seems such a problem think there's no harm in checking.  :thinking:

Thanks for the swan info too  :thumbsup:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »
For jode
I drive mine in a wilkie snaffle and a jointed butterfly bit
Hope this helps
Louise
So many ideas, not enough hours

FoulaLass

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Shetland
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
I have one mini Shetland at 33.5" tall. I bought him when he was weaned because I loved him. He is now 8 years old and I play about with him, walk him, have him as lead rein sometimes for my friends kids and now I work him in a pack saddle. Look up Journeyman Leather, Shetland and look at their klibbers, that is what I use with hay nets to fill with items. I take my winter fuel (peats and coal) home. e is my best buddy more than anything though.
I also have 6 (7 soon) standard Shetlands. I ride my 40" gelding, yes I'm light enough for him, and will be breaking the others into work too. I've broken in my stallion to work this summer, took to it like a pro.
I also trim their hooves myself, have to, so if you need any advice just pop a pm through.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:40 am »
Thank you! 

Our two girls are doing very well and keeping very well too.  They are better than our flock of sheep at keeping the grass down and we've been paranoid about lamanitis which we seem to have escaped so far.  One had a bit of bother with her eye which we flushed with contact lense saline and it righted in a couple of days, other than that no problems yet.  I do like these girls, very useful and economic to keep  :D

wizard1

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54:13 am »
Hi have minihorses and shetlands noticed your in Scottish Borders there myself ...shetlands great but are diff. than your normal horse watch what treats you give them and watch out for some feeds just dont agree with them.They tend to live off nothing so do try to keep them on limited graze ..just love my boys always there waiting at gate for me  in the morning ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »
Oh thanks wizard1, yes they are very helpful beasts, they get the odd carrot but only about once a week when I tell them what good helpful girls they are  :D   We have an electric fence up which they obviously respect as we didn't realise for ages that it actually wasn't on  ::) .  They do like a chat with the pygmy goats across the fence though, probably discussing being small I should think.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 09:19:08 am »
Congratulations, Shetland are fab - I am desperately trying to avoid looking at ibidder for the Lerwick sale today, although the pony I really want is at Thainstone on Monday. We have one delightful shetland, my boys ride him and I have broken him to drive and am working on him pulling farm stuff. I'd also love some klibbers. Loads of excellent advice above,  can't stress the importance of restricted grazing, especially in terms of quality, enough. We are just at Yetholm, so if you want to come for a visit and a shetland chat, or wanted me to come over, it would be lovely to meet you.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
Thanks Mowhaugh, I might go walking in Yetholm quite soon in the October hols - it's very pretty at Yetholm - did a walk there with my kids in the summer, it was boiling, we did a famous 5 walk with ginger beer and iced buns, kids were just about passing out with the heat by the end though  :D   I'll post if the weather is good and give you a visit, otherwise if you fancy an afternoon off and a cuppa around mid October sometime you would be more than welcome here, we're an old mill and it's quite an experience. We have friends in Yetholm at Lochside, they have a lovely place and part own the loch.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS