Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mini Shetland Ponies  (Read 22836 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Mini Shetland Ponies
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »
Oh thank you LandM, we know about poisonous plants after losing a ronaldsay to rhode earlier in the year (we knew it was poisonous but didn't see a tiny specimen in amongst some rocks until it was too late - a few bits and that was it).  We know about ragwort and yew and I have lots of books and charts on poisonous plants etc.  What I didn't know was that I just shouldn't feed them anything much really and that they should just be on rough as anything grazing - all our sheep are native scrubland sheep so they will get on well.  Also taken note about the treats, treats from now on will be attention and chat from all of us here.  I will keep asking silly questions if that's ok, and thank you for your support and kind words.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 09:33:59 am »
Shetlands were bred to live on not much more than fresh air and a lot of folk(my neighbour included) can't get their heads around "all they need in winter is a little good quality hay".
What lucky ponies to have found such caring homes :)  Too many people breeding miniatures now and, down here at least, they go to feed the lions at Paignton Zoo as homes can't be found. Yet people keep on breeding.
If anyone fancies keeping a couple of these dear little ponies I can find you some for nothing or near to. They do, though, need as much care as any other equine, i.e. foot and tooth care, twice daily checks etc. and live a very long life, up to forty years in some cases :horse: :horse:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
Ok, I've always wondered, so now I am going to ask...  I am not meaning to be rude but I have genuinely always puzzled over this...

Why?

I know people with Shetlands who don't have any children to ride them, and that's puzzling enough, but I do not understand why folk want mini ponies that take as much looking after as any equine and can't do anything. 

Especially smallholders, who mostly can't afford freeloaders and for whom grazing is often a limiting factor. 

So please share with me what it is these little creatures do for you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:08 pm »
I myself have standard Shetlands but know plenty of breeders of the small ponies. Their height is up to 34 ins and are often used as first ponies for young children. they are also driven in pairs or teams of 4. maybe small but are strong and if treated right do well. there is always a breeder who is trying to go as small as possible which causes all sorts of health problems. My standards get broken to ride and drive for I believe a Shetland standing in  field doing nothing not only gets bored but is not happy. they like the same attention of most horses, love pony club games, jumping and racing and are very loving when raised right. What most new owners do not know is they are not a cheap pet, feet,teeth, worming and injections all need to be done just like a horse.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 03:37:45 pm »
Sally, like kunekune pigs, alpacas etc. they were a novelty and everyone wanted one. Too many folk jumped on the "here, I could make a few bob out of this" bandwagon and supply now outweighs demand. Same, unfortunately with popular dog breeds :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 06:50:19 pm »
We drive ours  :)
So many ideas, not enough hours

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »
Yes the ones we have are from someone who used to breed but realised there isn't a market for it and we got them extremely cheap and in some cases they are free I know.

We are keeping them Sally partly as an attraction as we will be holiday letting our mill and cottage from later next year and partly to get our kids used to bigger sized animals (they're not that small).  Our nearest neighbour is a smithy so checks are easy and cheap and what could have been bored ponies have a lovely stimulating environment with lots of other animal species and lots of neighbours horses over the fence.  They will get lots of human attention here too and they are a great addition to our smallholding and we intend giving them little jobs to do.

And I have a big heart. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »
We drive ours  :)

Now that's a lovely picture! Bet they enjoy getting out and about!

Goosepimple I reckon they will have a great time :-)))

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
I have American Miniatures (33 inches tall!) that I rescued. My first is only 2 years old and my second is only 16 months. I adore them and they have brought a lot of joy!
Like others have said, watch feeding and weight. I give mine the odd small feed and ad lib hay every so often, they live out and enjoy their grass. They can be cheeky little nippers too! But so far, a joy to own and very low maintenance.

Anna

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »
thanks all.  Ours are much bigger than the ones pulling the cart above, they are really teeny, ours are about 3/4 to full size I should think.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »
The two driving are 32" (8hh) they love it, but it takes a long while to get anywhere because so many people stop us, we've had people jump out of cars take photos, video us as they go passed  :excited: . At their fitest last year they could easily do 10 or 12 miles on a club drive alternate weekends, so don't under estimate their capabilities they are lovely strong little characters.  :thumbsup:  and love having a job to do.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:16 pm »
Where did you get your cart Louise and did you have to train them from very young for that - ours are 10ish years old, would it be too late to try that?

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
I want to train mine too! How do I go about training them? :hshoe:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:37 pm »
The carriage is a bellcrown bought off www.indoordriving.co.uk forum has a for sale section.
 As for training it's never too late.
 There is a book by sallie walrond called "breaking a horse to harness" that is well worth reading, amazon have second hand ones, that will get you started and when you get as far as putting pony to carriage I would find an experienced driver to help you. Try looking on the bds (British driving society) website for local clubs and instructors etc. Start with ponies as singles with a two wheeler first and once they are going well on their own then you can start to teach them to drive together but you need a four wheeler for pairs.
Hope that helps, I do have a habit of getting very carried away when talking about carriage driving so I've tried to restrain myself :)  but I'm more than happy to help if I can  :horse:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:49 pm »
 ;D   ;D   ;D  thank you, will check that out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS