Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ill Goose  (Read 3391 times)

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
Ill Goose
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »
Hi All
I have a very poorly pet Hawaiian Ne Ne Goose.  I don't know how old he is.  He is extremely lethargic, and is just lying down in his house, hot attempting to move at all.  His feathers are all puffed up down his neck, and his blinking is not right - looks to be half shutting his eyes.  I have locked him in for the night with his lady friend, as usual, with some water and lots of straw.  Is there anything else I can do?  Anyone know what it might be?
Thanks

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Ill Goose
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »
I dont know - all I know is geese are pretty tough and so if they look ill they are probably quite bad. I would get the vet in TBH...

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »
Thanks - that's what I thought. I will take him down to the vet in the morning, if he is still here, but I am not holding up much hope :( 
This will be the 5th male ne-ne we have had in 9 years, and its been the same female all the way through! Each time she breaks her heart when one of them goes, and gets in a terrible state.  I really hope he makes it .....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:28:34 pm »
fingers and toes crossed, do let us know how he gets on  :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »
I'm sorry to hear he's so bad. I'm not hopeful I'm afraid  :-\ but I hope I'm wrong  :fc:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:45:31 am »
We had similar with a chinese gander, the vet thought it was an internal abcess or cancer. He gave pain relief, ABX and anti inflammatories and told us to take him home and let him enjoy his last week or 2 with his friends (he was elderly). That was 3 years ago and he's still going strong :love:
Still elderly, but just as fiesty as he was before he was poorly :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:14 am »
Hi all - he didn't make it  :'(  Absolutely heartbreaking, especially when you see her trying to wake him up.  Now I face the very difficult task of trying to find a gander, which is always a nightmare with these rare breeds.  Anyone know of one near to Devon?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:15 am »
I'm sorry to hear that  :-*

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:56:58 am »
so sorry he didnt make it :-(((( too far from Devon but good luck with the search for a new husband for Mrs Goose.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »
So sorry  :bouquet:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS