Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The jobs you hate?  (Read 15138 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
The jobs you hate?
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:19:22 pm »
Just done one of mine - giving the dog a bath for starters hes a 30kg dog who hates baths & my drying him with the hair dryer afterwards (so we're off to a bad start anyways & towels hardly help so the hairdryer it is in the winter.) But I hate the smell of wet dog afterwards & wet dog hairs make my skin itch! Grr!  >:(

Probably after that its:
Hoovering & washing the car ( which I am always proud of in the end ;D)

Worming the cats

Chasing the last of the flaming  :chook: :chook: :chook: in or the geese & ducks if they decide not to come off the river (Always in the piddling rain)

Bringing in wood for the woodburner as its like a constant thing that seems to eat them & we normally run out  again when u've guessed it its  >:(

Rant over whats everyone elses? xxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: The jobs you hate?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:20:17 am »
Housework
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:13:03 am »
the only thing I really hate is having to deal with a sick or dying animal. Pretty much every other job falls onto a scale of "tolerate but wish someone else would do" ranging upto "really like this loads".

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:52 am »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:42 am »
the only thing I really hate is having to deal with a sick or dying animal.

I'm with you on this but in terms of jobs that I don't relish - filling hay bags (which is never ending in winter) is the worst, especially if the hay is tight to the bale and it's coming off in small handfuls  ::) .

I don't LOVE picking poo or cleaning out the hens ie I don't wake up thinking "Yippee, I'm cleaning out hen houses today  :excited: " but I do get great satisfaction when it's done

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:37:49 am »
Ahhhh, yes Rosemary, the hay. Especially when it's -15 and your hands are so cold and painful that they don't seem to grip properly ...... or is that just me.  ::)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:41 am »
the only thing I really hate is having to deal with a sick or dying animal. Pretty much every other job falls onto a scale of "tolerate but wish someone else would do" ranging upto "really like this loads".
Ditto which is what i have to deal with today, think one of my fattener pigs has broke his back ploughing about in the bloody mud and swill that is our field, have made him comfortable he doesn't seem to be in undue pain unless you try to move him, so waiting for vet's diagnosis and then probably pts :'(
mandy :pig:

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:55 am »

So sorry about your pig, Mandy.  I agree dealing with sick/dying animals is the worst.  But all the others are firmly on my list: Housework (especially cleaning the oven), mucking out, doing anything in freezing temperatures when I can't feel my hands (and gloves are useless), bathing a dog with an aversion to water and trying to catch a goose/chicken/animal that doesn't want to be caught (and it's raining).

Wendy@blueborage

blueborage.blogspot.com

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:33 am »
In priority order:

1) Killing things I hadn't planned to be killing (i.e. sick things, or even worse recently, apparently healthy things in order to stop everything else getting sick  :'( )
2) Gutting things
3) Killing things for eating
4) Emptying the  :cat:  litter tray
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 11:29:31 am »
1 The thought of having to kill anything to put it out is misery, I mean a chicken here by the way!! not had to do that yet, not had to kill one to eat as it was done for me, still unsure if I could!!

2 Taking water to the chickens on slippery paths when it freezes and picking up dog poo in the snow
3 Constant changing quilts (B&B) but not too bad if the guests have left sweets or crisps then I put the TV on and make it last a bit longer  ;)
4Clearing out the freezer...Ones done, the other needs doing now and boy that's a cold job!!!
5Not mad keen on clothes shopping either, maybe as I am now FAT!!

I quite like housework, its finding homes for everything that's hard!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 01:04:12 pm »
I am sure I have said this on here before but I have taken advice on housework and particularly dusting, from a good friend of mine.  She says "dust isn't worth dusting until it's thick enough to roll up'.  ;D   I really hate having to put clean duvet covers on - don't know why, but I really loathe it with a passion.

Nell

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Nr Thornhill, Dumfries
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »
Changing the beds and mucking out the chickens. Ours live in one of the large littleacre coops which are great, but cumbersome to clean out. Fortunately I don't have to get involved with the mucking out of the sheds. The boys have a tractor and yard scraper for that.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »
Most outdoor stuff in wintertime. The mud on our patch sucks you down. Circulation in my extremities is never great but in winter I just have to hope I've got a grip on whatever I'm doing. Soon find out when I drop it! I hate doing the hay with the big round bales as they're so 'bitty'. Like Rosemary said, when it's coming away from the bale in hand sized portions it's a tad ANNOYING!! I love small bales. Carry it over, cut the twine and nice neat slices just fall apart for you to distribute amongst the beasties. Haven't had small bales for ages. Haylage does smell yummy though apart from the one the other day we found with a big mushroomy thing growing out the top of it.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »
There are loads and loads of jobs that I hate the THOUGHT of doing, but once I start I don't really mind.
The thought of going out when it is horizontal rain, but once I am wrapped up and out I just enjoy being with the animals and then don't feel like going in to face housework :o
Housework - I listen to the radio - makes it a lot less boring ;D except can't hear it while hoovering, so that is my worst job inside
I am with everyone on here about filling haynets from a round bale - hate the thought of it and hate doing it, but this year I have wee square bales :excited: :excited: :excited:
I find poo picking very therapeutic, except after weeks of snow thaws and there is barrow loads of the stuff :tired:
And fluffing the ducks straw in the mornings.....phewwwwwww they stink. Thankfully that is only my 'job' when OH is away
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:33:20 pm by ppd »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »
1) dealing with sick livestock/pets
2) clearing up the mess Mr Fox leaves
3) mucking out goatsheds after leaking roof has soaked everything
4) kids homework.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS