Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: billyboys 'home'  (Read 8451 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
billyboys 'home'
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:45:46 am »
Well, I collected my 2 boys from the abbatoir today. I walked in trying to laugh and saying "well, were they worth doing?" thinking they would be sneering at the size of them.  He said they were quite nice carcases really. He'd cut + jointd them but just into 4 big plastic bags, half in each. As I had also to dispatch a cockerel it's been quite a meat day today, finally got the meat into small packs and most in the freezer, had some chops tonight - delicious! Expected them to be a bit chewy but they were very much like lean lamb.
DID have a shock though - one liver had been condemned because of fluke. didn't even know it was around here! I was told Animal Health man had said Fluke was the main problem this year. I'd better get some wormer soon.
They need a general wormer anyway, can anyone recommend one?
Just thought I'd put a pic up, considering they've just been in the field (with shed) and just a handful of feed in the evenings I'm pleasantly surprised at how much meat there is.
Anyone got any good recipes or do I just treat them like lamb?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: billyboys 'home'
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:27:19 am »
Fluke has been a major problem with the wet conditions this year, ask for a clear one , not white as the worm has developed immunity to the white one in some areas,

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:51:56 am »
For recipes take a look at the BBGS they have a recipe page on there
Graham

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:27:26 am »
That looks a lovely joint.  What age, breed, kill out weight did they make.  I have yet to take the plunge on my 2 boys so am very interested in any information.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:57 am »
Born late March, pure Togg, going by the girth measurement I thought they were 40kg live weight, but I knew as I put them in the van they were nowhere near that.
weighing the joints I've totalled about 15kG each. Maybe not very big, but plenty for us, leg joints are about 1.5kg, then there is the top of leg, looks good, about .75.
As they were running with an entire male who I recently realised was not letting them eat unless I was there, and they were only getting a handful of beef nuts, hay as weather turned bad, I'm quite pleased with the result. I thought it woud turn out to be an expensive experiment, but slaughter charge inc cutting up £20 ea, 2 bags of beef nuts between 3 of them, lamb mix previously, and the milk which was surplus, I think we've done OK.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:47 pm »
That's made me more determined to get Curry dispatched.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »
That's made me more determined to get Curry dispatched.
I was thinking of you (and Curry) wondering if you'd take the plunge. how old is Curry?
It was hard the night before, they came and nuzzled my hand, but I had no choice really, Next day once I'd walked away I didn't think of them as pets again, luckily had other things to think about, insurance assessor back to check out builders quotes after flooding.
I'm already getting friends asking if they can buy some chops, not sure where we stand legaly, slaughtered and cut up in official abbatoir, brought home in big plastic bags, but packed in smaller units at home. (worktop specially scrubbed down!)
They insist on paying, but if I sell how much should I ask? any ideas? same as lamb? (£12 for 3kg at local butcher today). Lamb isn't something I normally buy, too fatty for me.
Rayburn lit and leg ready to go in  :goat: :yum: .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:27 pm »
Looking at your joint I would think that it may dry out a bit during roasting - that certainly was our experience with goat leg joints. We found it best to either stew in red wine (as you would lamb shanks) or to cube up and curry, especially doing one with coconut milk. Or you could try adding a good slurp of red wine to the joint after the 20 min sizzle and wrap roasting tin in foil to prevent drying out?

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »
Or mince them to make burgers...yum yum, but they do look too good for that.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:03 pm »
Looks as good as any of the joints we have had and they where not dry at all
One of our favourite recipes is morrocan goat. Its done with a leg. The recipe is for lamb but works great with goat
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 10:16:18 pm »
Looking at your joint I would think that it may dry out a bit during roasting - that certainly was our experience with goat leg joints. We found it best to either stew in red wine (as you would lamb shanks) or to cube up and curry, especially doing one with coconut milk. Or you could try adding a good slurp of red wine to the joint after the 20 min sizzle and wrap roasting tin in foil to prevent drying out?

we have never had any trouble with goat drying out during roasting, i tend to slow roast after marinading in a mix of garlic lemon & lime zest & juice for 24 hrs  :yum:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:47 am »
In foil with wine + water, it was a little overcooked but not dry, I'd gone out to give goats last feed and stayed too long, Rayburn runs on wood and is a law unto itself regarding oven temperatures, OH had stoked it up so got too hot.
Still nice though, now starting the learning curve, don't often have joints to cook  ;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:37:27 am »
Some of the other recipes we have tried and enjoyed are on the goat meat recipes page on the Morley Boer goat website 
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:55 pm »
Some of the other recipes we have tried and enjoyed are on the goat meat recipes page on the Morley Boer goat website
Thanks, I've looked thru a few but hadn't seen that one.
Looks like my cooking is going to have to get more adventurous  :excited: :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
Curry is still alive at 19 months so really needs to go soon.

You could try roasting on a rack over a tray over water and cover the lot in foil.  I do that with pork and it is soooooo tender.  and you can use the water to make a tasty gravy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS