Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tipping trailer for MF35  (Read 4866 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Tipping trailer for MF35
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
What maximum size of tipping trailer could my wee 35 cope with?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Tipping trailer for MF35
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »
Depends what you want to use it for. On the road or just on your own land. 

When I was seriously farming back in the 70's we regularly used a Fergie 3.5 ton (from memory) tipping trailer on a MF35 but I'm sure we would use it to move much larger trailers around on the farm. You wouldn't want to use it on the road with a bigger one though because of the brakes.

If you can find a good example of one of those old MF trailers would be a good match.

J

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:14 pm »
"As I understand", the MF trailers were made Humberside way by a firm call Weeks. I have one that I re-bodied. It is on 5 stud Land Rover wheels with 7.60 tyres, so I rate it at two tonnes with these tyres. I use it on my 885 (45hp approx) and was carting conventional bales this time up to six high but still damaged a trailer tyre. Most of the work was up hill with one long decline, using low gear it coped but I would not like to have been heavier.
Obviously the Fergy 35 is an earlier tractor of mid 30s hp?  We used to cart up to 7 high in the 1970s with a 35 and 135, but that farm was flat and we punctured tyres.
Another limiting factor on small tractors is the tow bar, look at a few to see how badly worn they are.
Apparently one on my DBs has a 780 tow bar in good condition which is rare because they were all overloaded and damaged because the tractors would pull the load (as I was told by a DB expert).   :tree:

A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »
As Henchard says it all depends.  On level tarmac with high pressure tyres you could pull 10t.  Across a soggy field with low ground pressure tyres 3t could be a real struggle.  Add a hill and it's skin off a rice pudding time.

Don't forget braking either.  Being pushed downhill by a trailer is very unfunny, and the weight on the towbar will reduce the weight on the steering wheels and controllability.   
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS