Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mega cutting list for 2 pigs - be gentle with me!  (Read 4691 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Mega cutting list for 2 pigs - be gentle with me!
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »
As I have never done this before and do not have a clue what bits come from where (not being a butcher an all), I found a usa order form which lists choices for each bit.  So I have devised this list from that.  Hubby wants to do a butchering course, so we left the last half as cut into the main bits.  What do you all think?  As I have dogs I want as much back as poss.  I also want to make pork pies and stocks and stuff.

All skin on for crackling
Sausage meat/sausages 50-50 sausages medium thick
20 Chipolatas
Spare ribs
Pork fillet steaks

Side 1
Half legs
Crown roast
Belly slices
Diced shoulder bags 500g

Side 2
Best for leg Joints (2-4 people)
Chops in bags of 4
Belly slab for curing
Minced shoulder bags 500g

Side 3
Best for leg Joints (4-6 people)
Country style ribs
Boned butterflied shoulder joint skin on (4 people)
Loin chined joint
Belly rolled boned skin on (4 people)

Side 4
Whole leg
Whole belly
Whole shoulder
Whole loin

Other
Bones,  lites, i.e. everything else not used please pack for dogs
Livers
Pigs cheeks
Back fat diced
Trotters
Ears
Heads in quarters so they fit in a pan
Hocks
Tails (if not black)

Here is the link if anyone is interested http://www.coachstopfarm.com/CSFPorkOrderForm2011.pdf

Have I forgotten anything? Overlooked anything? To the butchers: is this feasible?  Cheers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:55:11 pm by Bumblebear »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mega cutting list for 2 pigs - be gentle with me!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:06:27 am »
I would go and see your butcher with that list (before the pigs go off) and let him / her talk you through what they can really do for you.

One thing I would expect them to say is that if you are having all the shoulder and belly meat as joints or diced or minced, there won't be much in the way of sausage meat.  Ours usually use some of the shoulder meat for sausages, as well as all the trimmings and bits that can't be anything else.

A bit of advice I was given was to always ask for the tenderloins as tenderloins - then you know you get them.  And it's beautiful meat  :yum:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:21:40 am »
I would go and see your butcher with that list (before the pigs go off) and let him / her talk you through what they can really do for you.

One thing I would expect them to say is that if you are having all the shoulder and belly meat as joints or diced or minced, there won't be much in the way of sausage meat.  Ours usually use some of the shoulder meat for sausages, as well as all the trimmings and bits that can't be anything else.

A bit of advice I was given was to always ask for the tenderloins as tenderloins - then you know you get them.  And it's beautiful meat  :yum:

i agree with sally go and talk to james with the list before the pigs go off. 20 chipolatas ? most butchers will do a minimum LB for things like sausages & burgers off the top of my head i seem to recall 10lb - 20lb and not all do chipolatas. and again as sally pointed out some shoulder meat will be needed to make sausages.

you could be adding to the cost of your cutting most charge X for a traditional cut and boned out etc can run to extra costings and with this being their busy time i would talk the list through first.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:59:03 pm »
Country style ribs... USA terminology differs from ours, so definitely talk to the butcher. One of our butchers gave us 'ribs' and 'meaty ribs', but which one of these an American would call 'country ribs' I have no idea.

Whats do you mean by 'best for leg joints'? You just want joints for x people? It's the 'best' that sounds a bit strange, as all legs will be equally good, one won't be better than another. Tell the butcher the nr of people the roasts are for and he'll cut the joints to fit that number.

All skin for scratchings... depends on whether you'll give any of the skin to the dogs. If so, ask for all of it (quite a lot will come in little bits), if not then only ask for a couple of A4-sized sheets from the back - it'll be plenty  :yum: (and hide the bathroom scales  :D )

The pork fillet (tenderloin) is best kept whole - it's a long thin thing, not suitable for steaks. It's delicious!

Bellies are large - a whole belly will not fit on a roasting rack easily - I'd have them cut in half for curing or for a flat (not rolled) roast unless you have a large oven and family  :)

Crown roast... you may be better off asking for ordinary roasts or the costs of butchering will indeed increase, plus you can give the off cuts to the dogs.  :dog: 

The lights apparently stink to high heavens when boiled - haven't done it myself so it's just hearsay, we give them to someone who has dogs and ferrets to boil them up for them.

Do you want the kidneys to go in the dogs' pack?

In our very first year of having pigs I spent an awful lot of time learning about the various cuts and what kind of meat can be used for which dish. Finally, I proudly walked into the butcher shop with my overview... for him to take one look at it, promptly turn the sheet around and ask me what I wanted to each part of the pig in a way that made sense to him  ;D  (His list was much shorter  ;D )

And you'll need two large freezers  ;)

Last but not least: I'm intrigued: why no black tails? :thinking:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:01:08 pm by Eve »

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »
Thank you everyone.  Comments taken n board and amendments as we speak :). Tenderloin whole is a great idea.  The 20 chipolatas were basically because I don't eat them other than at Christmas, but I guess I could still be eating these two next year!  The crown roast is a must - that's our Christmas centrepiece :).

I guess I still have no idea how much meat I'm going to be getting back.  The black tails were because it would make me feel sad :(. Same with ears.  Do they stay black does anyone know?  Good point about the scales.  The nurse was shocked at how low my cholesterol was on a goat dairy laden diet and 15 eggs a week; don't think I'll be so lucky next time  :roflanim:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »
Lucky you - I dread to even ask our GP practice for a cholesterol test  :D

Don't know about the black tails and ears - our GOS pigs keep some of their spots after dehairing but not all. The dogs won't mind what colour they are  ;)  but if they're your first pigs it might be a bit harder for you knowing which pig a bit came from, our first year I couldn't bear looking at the heads or touching the trotters.

If you keep every single bit from 2 pigs, you'll need at least two 6ft tall freezers, probably more. No idea how much that is in cubic feet, a quick look on an appliance website will give you an idea and the equivalent in chest freezers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS