Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lawn clippings for silage for sheep  (Read 26874 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: lawn clippings for silage for sheep
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »
Being very thick here! What size barrels are best and where can you get them from?
Have a look of 'fleabay' - lots on there in various sizes.

Farmerjames86

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
You have to be careful with clippings, grass produces chemicals when regularly mown that are detrimental to jeep and cattle, I've heard of sheep dying as a result.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:04 pm »
This is interesting but also a bit confusing as I'd been told that cut grass wasn't good for cattle  and I'd assumed that went for sheep too. The reason the subject came up was that when mowing our large lawn I was running out of places to dump the cuttings - they make terrible mulch around trees - and I mentioned to my neighbour about dumping it over the fence for the cows to eat and he told me that the grass changes once it's cut. Was he talking rubbish, does this only apply to cows, or is the fermentation the key to making it useable?

we were told strictly as kids not to let ponies near the grass cutting so no you cant chuck it over the fence as i think it ferments etc and can be dangerous.

so back to silage - i cant seem to find any barrels but was wondering if anyone has tried using plastic feed sacks/bin bags if it is taped up well?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 10:56:46 pm »
 :wave:

We did four bags two weeks ago.  Will comment on the thread in four weeks (when it's ripe).

FarminChimp

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:48 pm »
Do you have to leave a way for CO2 gas to escape from the barrel ? I am thinking of fermenting kraut, where it produces CO2 which must be allowed to escape or maybe rupture the seal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS