Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lawn clippings for silage for sheep  (Read 26877 times)

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
Re: lawn clippings for silage for sheep
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »
I use the lid-less ones for water barrels, and used the lid-ed ones for silage.  The trick is in keeping the air out - I think it is something to do with anaerobic composting as compared with aerobic composting (without air compared with with air) a chemist could explain - are there any out there? - so cutting the tops off would very probably ruin the barrels for either storing liquids  or making silage.  Can you get some others with lids?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
what is originally kept in the barrels?
you must be cutting lots of grass to fill one in one go? we only have a little lawn but may try this with black bags (and a hoover).

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:48 pm »
farmers don't use sealed barrels; they cover with black plastic weighed down with tyres.

I wonder if you have 1/2 a barrel / an open barrel, if you could use a piece of black plastic and pour water onto it to 'seal' it against the sides?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »
farmers don't use sealed barrels; they cover with black plastic weighed down with tyres.

I wonder if you have 1/2 a barrel / an open barrel, if you could use a piece of black plastic and pour water onto it to 'seal' it against the sides?
That sounds a good idea - if there is any air it would be pushed out by the weight of water andbe able to escape up the side. Interesting.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 04:13:07 pm »
Very interesting thread, slight silly question. Are people using grass mowings from a garden or a small field?..

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 09:27:31 pm »
been telling B and Mr P all about this and i think they up for it, brilliant idea !

Laurieston

• Joined May 2009
  • Northern Germany
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »
I just used cuttings from our lawn.  Guess it depends how much silage you want to make.  As it needs to be sealed up tightly it should, I think, be completed in one sitting.  I mean you cannot fill half a barrel this week and then top it up next week, before sealing it shut.

Oh, and it smells wonderful.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 09:41:23 pm »
cool beans, we have a campsite soooo i think we ll be able to fill a good few over the summer, i always look at the campsite and sigh when it gets done, at least now we will be able to utilise that grass xx

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 05:58:24 pm »
does it have to fresh or can you do this after a few days in the sun?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »
would the little blue bins that have chutney in them be ok?

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
Being very thick here! What size barrels are best and where can you get them from?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »
 :wave:

I've been looking at 30 litre barrels, so they won't be too heavy to move around. 

Just made some today by filling a plastic feed bag and clear wrapping it tightly.  Still have to store it somewhere animal proof for 6 weeks though.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 05:55:50 pm »
This is interesting but also a bit confusing as I'd been told that cut grass wasn't good for cattle  and I'd assumed that went for sheep too. The reason the subject came up was that when mowing our large lawn I was running out of places to dump the cuttings - they make terrible mulch around trees - and I mentioned to my neighbour about dumping it over the fence for the cows to eat and he told me that the grass changes once it's cut. Was he talking rubbish, does this only apply to cows, or is the fermentation the key to making it useable?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 01:10:10 am »
I give cut grass to the goats, but you have to be careful it doesn't start heating up.
Some dairy farms have 'zero grazing' where grass is cut and fed to them, so it must all be in the handling? maybe not giving too much at a time?
Maybe the farmer was also a bit concerned you might treat your lawn with something, forget and tip the grass over without thinking?

But this thread is more about the grass being turned into silage on a small scale, as an alternative to hay in winter, it does change and has quite a smell (which I quite like because it reminds me of happy days helping on a dairy farm, milking in winter, the warmth and smell of the cows & silage.)

macvity

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:35 am »
hi all here.i put clippings in polytunnel last year there was abit of rot around the edge.there was a realy nice smell when i opened the pit.sheep loved it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS