Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infertility problems  (Read 2409 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Infertility problems
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »
Hi There

Just over a year ago I put two gilts to a boar, both together.
The one got pregnant just fine and produced a lovely litter, the other did not get pregnant and as she was not a nice pig anyway, I contacted the breeder
and she came to pick her up for sausages and told me to come and pick another pig.

I chose a nice looking gilt (named her Mango) but her pedigree took a few months to arrive due to the breeder already having applied for it and had misplaced it.
According to the pedigree she was the LITTER SISTER to the one I sent away!! (Having chosen the pig out of a group of around 20 I have no idea how I did this  )  ::)

But she is a nice shape little thing and completely different to her sister.

I had a boar around serving my sow (who produced a litter of 11) and he was so nice that I sent Mango to him around a month later, she was with him for 7 weeks from the first of July, enough for 2 seasons.

She hasnt got pregnant , so do I assume that she and her sister had/has infertility problems or do I try again with her?
I have never seen her on heat and I never saw her sister on heat, also she is a very "manly" pig and tries to attack my young boars through the fence, she has chewed through stock wire like it is nothing, this was also the same with the sister.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/help for me?

Many thanks

Jess

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Infertility problems
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
Sorry for the pun but it seems Mango is a Jaffa (seedless) too and realistically you either send her for sausages or you have a very large pet to keep. We had the same trouble with our Delia and she lived to be 7 and never ever had a piglet despite running freely with the boar all her life. If she is truly a litter sister to the first pig you bought and its not the breeder doing juggling with the paperwork :thinking:  then there must be something genetic in that line.
Can i also ask is she overweight as this has great bearing on fertility, its very easy for a gilt to get overfat whilst you decide when to put her in pig, ideally she should be going to the boar at 10mths old.
Wish i could wave a magic wand for you as have been thro this myself but i know deep down i let this particular gilt get too big and i still have regrets about sending her for bacon.
Its a tuffy, best of
Mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:46:02 am »
I guess it is a case of how long do you wait and how many times to try.  If you want to breed then she is null good to you and perhaps it is worth trying to cut your losses.

I hope I don't appear callous but I was going to post a similar thread to yours and unfortunately the gilt in question is the loveliest of all  :'(

Now I brought her, knowing that her line has small litters but that there were only 5 breeding sows left so I thought I would do my bit for the breed and keep one, try putting her with a' boar whose line produces large litters.

....but I can't see any signs of pregnancy either.   

Guess there are reasons why some lines just don't do so well.....

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »
Hi FF,

Unfortunately she cannot be kept as a pet, I just dont have the space at the moment. She has never been allowed to get anywhere near fat, I think she is pretty much spot on, nice and lean but with some good firm muscle.
After getting her pedigree I was shocked to find out that she was 2 and a half years old and she hadnt produced a litter yet, according to the breeder she hadnt grown big enough and she hadnt gotten around to breeding from her.
However since I got her she has grown to the same size of my other pigs.

She really does look nothing like her sister I had before but she came with that pedigree so I have to trust that it is hers (although I never received her pedigree ear tag).

Mrs Snoodles yes unfortunately she is a lovely pig just like yours and I am at a loss as what to do.

I am thinking I might try again and then get her scanned asap after mating so I dont need to wait for so long feeding her this time

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
Ladygray, it sounds like you are wasting your time. You shouldn't have taken a gilt of that age, I would expect to have at least 3 litters out of her by that age.If it was me I would either take her back and get my money back or sausage her.
I would also think very seriously about having anything to do with that breeder again.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:55:33 pm »
Thanks Berkshire Boy, I didnt plan on taking a pig of that age, it just took a long lime for her pedigree to come through, I thought she was alot younger and indeed she doesnt look her age at all.

I have to keep her until january to be a friend for my other pig whilst one goes to the boar, I will have to make up my mind by then, but due to this current state of the pig market I am not sure I want another litter from her right now, so she may have to go when weaners go for sausages in the spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS