Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Depressing reading!  (Read 1594 times)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
Depressing reading!
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:43:09 am »
I went on Preloved the other day for the first time in months and there were pages and pages of pigs for sale, over 60 pages, might have been more, can't remember.  Apart from the usual array of micos and KK, there was some breeds on there that usually go quite quickly. British lops, OSB to name just a few.  But how depressing. People were selling herds of the some of these breeds and many of the ads had been updated so it was clear they were not selling. I personally think though Preloved is the worse place in the world to sell livestock, if not only for the reason it is the website that every man and his dog who sells or gives a micros goes on there. Surely there would be other ways to sell stock and isn't it depressing that many of these ads were probably people forced into selling becuase of the cost of pig feed. Very sad to see
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Depressing reading!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:15 am »
At least people are trying to find someone else who might be able to keep them and keep the lines going, rather then sending them for sausages.  Wonder what the herd books are going to look like by the end of next year. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »
I have never known a darker time  :gloomy: for pig keepers and just in my breed GOS there are numerous herds for sale as people cut back. I just hope that some of the more rare breeds don't lose any lines and that people with rare lines make contact with their breed society before culling to see if anything can be arranged to save them.
Mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
the depressing reading comes from the quantity of pigs being put up for sale, the part where they use preloved as a platform to sell them is in no way to be looked down on i would prefer my stock to be sold via preloved than some market anyday of the week and i know a few people (a couple spring to mind that breed and show pedigree stock) that do use preloved to sell stock its a free advert in a time of recession  :innocent: and if it sells a sow or a few weaners thats got to be a good thing in these hard times.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
Fair point kja, I am just biased towards it as it seems to be the website that all micro owners levitate towards.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
There were two 6 month old kune kune's on freecycle this week that needed a new home  :(
Sally.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS