Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog attack  (Read 3340 times)

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
Dog attack
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:30 am »
Can anyone suggest a care programme for 2 ewes that were attacked by 2dogs yesterday afternoon, a third was also attacked , this years lamb but she was so bad had to be PTS. One of the other 2 just has bite marks round her mouth and seems to be ok, eating and perky ect just very stressed ofcourse, but the other had rips in her front leg and bites round her mouth, the vet stapled her leg wounds, she was perkier yesterday after it happened, but this morning she seems very unhappy, not eating ivy and head in the corner. I live in France and she is in the neighbours barn tillhe can transport her back to ours, do you think she will be better in her own place with our other ewes around her, we have antiBs, what more can I do for her, she is such a good ewe, its all been very traumatic, guess it may just be time and peace that will help her :(

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Dog attack
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:06 am »
try and keep them with other sheep if only in a pen next to them, they prefer company. some form of painkiller might be good to they will be feeling it now the shock has worn off, your vet will be able to advise
Ian

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:56:06 am »
Just as HM says. It will now hurt and she will still feel stressed. Company, but kept quiet, healthy titbits to tempt them to eat, anti-b's and painkillers (metacam injection, lasts 3 days) if you can get them.

I'm very sorry you've had to deal with this  :hug:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »
we had a lamb which was bitten - just tried to keep the wound clean, sprayed with terramycin every day and left it in the field with the others (more chance of infection indoors).  Is right as rain now.  Our vets said they would never stitch a dog bite because you are just sealing the infection in - always leave the wound open (so surprised yours has stapled it up? - different views perhaps.)  Good luck.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »
The news is good so far, now have them both back in our barn, added another ewe Pippa, she's the leader, old and very calm plus 1 is her daughter so they all get on well. Mimi the one who had her leg stapled is starting to eat so thats good news and Pammy looks very perky and not nearlyas frisky as usual, so perhaps a good point !
The leg wound was quite large, so think it was best to join it all back together, just hate giving the injections, think they've been through enough, but know it helps them.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
I would definitely be asking for painkillers, other than that I think you got everything covered :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:43:49 pm »
Poor things !! i'd be so mad i'd want to shoot the dog and then the owner :rant:

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 05:12:44 pm »
Very sorry to hear about your sheep. We had 3 lambs attacked by a dog about 2 months ago, one was destroyed, one had bite wounds to it's rump and had a long acting antibiotic. The other lamb had puncture wounds to its groin and a massive rip wound on its foreleg. We kept the wound open and used Filtabac by aniwell. It's was fantastic. It has antibacterial and barrier properties and the wound in 4 weeks has closed down to about the size of a fifty pence.

Hope that helps,

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS