Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many sausages!!!  (Read 7048 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Too many sausages!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »
a friend of ours is still eating sausages from his last lot of pigs ..............................he has not had any since late 2010 no ill effects there.

You could be describing me there!   ;D   I haven't (quite) got mad pig disease (yet). In fact, sausages are on the menu for me this evening from over a year ago...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:47 pm »
I was just talking to OH about freezer 'best before' for pork (3 months?)..... Anyone know why it is so short?  Ditto Mandy - ours went in freezer in Feb.....  we sold what we could imediately (frozen) but have been happily munching our way through the rest since then - absolutely no taste or texture difference ham pork or sausage that I can tell.  In fact just had a giant ham this weekedn that was out of this world good.  Plenty left, so we'll be heading for a year old at this rate before it's all finished.  It's the only thing stopping us getting more weaners!  I think we are more of a 1 pig family, so will have to try and presell the other one next time (we are munching our way through 2 pigs currently).

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:44 pm »
I recently bought a finished saddleback pig and sent it straight to the butcher. It was a very big pig and I got loads of meat back from it. If I had to eat it all within 3 months, i'd be screwed. Not sure where this time frame has come from? Perhaps an old trading standards rule? As all the meat I got back from my butcher has a sell by date if frozen on it - 6 months for any non-processed cuts and 1 year for sausages and burgers. Good job, as we have 65 packs of sausages to eat between 2 people! And to be honest if they went over a year I would still be perfectly happy to eat them. What can happen to it in a freezer?

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »
We never eat our meat within the 'best before' date and we've never come to harm  :D .  Had some beef the other day from 2008 that had been lingering in the bottom of the freezer  :P  it was absolutely fine  :) .  Not sure why pork has such a short date on it  ??? .  Have eaten pork well over a year old and it keeps fine aslong as it's frozen straight away  :thumbsup: .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS