Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many sausages!!!  (Read 7061 times)

stanfield

• Joined Jun 2011
Too many sausages!!!
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
Just that really! This time round we asked the butcher for extra sausages and he gave us just that.
Instead of our usual 4 bags we had 14 bags!! This was a cost to us of £300 worth of sausages!

Problem is now we've run out of people to sell to. Family and friends have sausages coming out their ears and were worried we may take a massive loss and have to throw a load away.

They are all prepared by the butcher but bagged by us in freezer bags at home soi don't think we can sell to businesses.

Any magical ideas of what to do with them??

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Too many sausages!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:31 pm »
I feel your pain we did the exact same thing last month ended up with 86kg of sausages, we managed to get rid of 40kg to friends. The rest are in the freezer but i have been making scotch eggs, sausage rolls etc for my work packed lunch. We also de-skinned a couple of kg and that has been and will be used for sausage meat for sunday/xmas dinner.
I have to admit our menu contains a lot of sausage recipes at the moment.
Right off for dinner...sausage suprise it is.  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »
Why on earth would you need to throw them away. Freeze them and eat at your leisure.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

cleopatra

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:36 pm »
£300 would get you your own butchery tools. Its not difficult.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:43 pm »
Get the butcher to take them - he was responsible for the gaff. What was he thinking of! So sorry for you - what a shock.
86 Kg of sausage - surely not from one pig.
I've read on other threads the cost/pound that butchers charge to make sausage, others asking about buying machines and others asking about skins and sausage spices - others even asking to share in the investment of a sausage making.
i mean this in an helpfull way for next time. It really is no big deal making sausages or come to that butchering your own pig - at least you stand a chance of getting back your own and all of the meat you sent off. If you discover that you have not made enough sausage then simply defreeze some meat and fat when you have time and make some more- same with hams.
Hope you can ride out the financial clout and get satisfaction from the stupid butcher. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »
Whereabouts are you? There may be people on here who'd buy some off you......

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
Whereabouts are you? There may be people on here who'd buy some off you......

That was my thought as well... Not that I eat them, but I have friends who would - I'm sure there's a few folk like that everywhere,happy to help out!

And give the butcher precise instructions next time... ::)

A few extra sausages does not mean the entire pig!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »
Am I misreading this?  You asked the butcher for more sausages, and he made sausages out of your whole pig?  I can't believe that any butcher would do such a crazy thing!  Bet he still has all the best bits (or am I too cynical?)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
Yes, Greenerlife, you read misreading it, Stanfield doesn't say anywhere that the whole pig was turned into sausages. None of us know what the exact instructions to the butcher were - which may not have been precise enough. And why on earth would you assume that the butcher kept the best bits for himself??

Mak, just like in any profession there are some butchers and slaughterers who cannot be trusted, but most are not only trustworthy but also do an excellent job. Using a butcher does not mean that you do not "at least stand a chance of getting back your own and all of the meat you sent off". Nor do you have any reason to assume that the butcher is "stupid", you have no idea what exactly was said between the customer and butcher and what was open to interpretation, you don't even know how many sausages Stanfield actually received - what is excessive to one person is regarded as welcome to another.

Stanfield: how many sausages are in a bag? What kind (herbs, apple, plain etc) are they?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:53:38 pm by Eve »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
NO such thing???  As previous poster says freeze and enjoy!  Wish we had had more done!  Also we have had no probs selling to frinds family and work colleages -  frozen and in home freezer bags.  Good luck, Fi

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:53:30 am »
Wish you were closer, I'd take some for family. Are you passing Newcastle or Durham any tine soon  :innocent:

stanfield

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:12 pm »
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies - Sorry I havnt had time to reply sooner.
We had 4 tamworths in total and had approx 2084 sausages made from them (thats by my caluclations rather than actually counting the sausages!!)
We can freeze and eat / sell which is what we are doing but isnt there a shelf life on frozen meat of about 3 months? Even so, we have our last 3 tamworths of the year being sent off around xmas which we will need to store in the freezer ( just joints from these lol!).
Is anyone clued up on how legal it is to sell pork like this ( Ie, who we can sell to considering we pack in the kitchen into food bags without labels?).
No, We were not specific to the butcher as we have lernt a lot from him, he is really helpful and has been a massive source of knowledge to us since starting with meat pigs 18 months ago. Generally we ask him what he thinks of the meat when he gets it back and how he would best use the meat. We will in future say that this was way too many sausages but we will also never have 4 pigs going off together again.

It's all a learning curve to us and every now and then we have a blip like this where we suck it up and learn from it! No one is to blame, its just one of lifes lessons!

We are however in South Herefordshire if any of you lovely chaps out there wish  to purchase any premium sausages - outdoor born and bred, free range pigs living in an apple orchard :)
We have plenty of Pork sausages and will also have joints / pork mince come early Jan.
Thanks everyone  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:46:28 am »
We can freeze and eat / sell which is what we are doing but isnt there a shelf life on frozen meat of about 3 months?
We're still eating sausages made in february out of the freezer and not dead yet but i wouldn't sell them on.
Mandy :pig:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:03 am »
We made a large batch of various flavoured sausages out of the tamworths we had at the begining of the year and still using them now, they are still as good as they where when we first made them.
We never get sausages made , just joint the meat up then choose what parts we make into sausage ourselves
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 11:54:34 am »
a friend of ours is still eating sausages from his last lot of pigs ..............................he has not had any since late 2010 no ill effects there.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS