Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the wife wants a pig  (Read 3870 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
the wife wants a pig
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
Been out today. Got shown round a croft. Had some lovely food an the wife (Les) now wants a pig next spring wonder where she got that idea  :-J  will speak to one of the local crofters by us see if he thinks our land would be ok. But he has said in the passed if we got one we could leave it with him. May do that as I dont think it would be fair to just have one.
I am going to live the dream

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: the wife wants a pig
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:02 pm »
Pigs are social animals so one would not be happy. Is it for a pet ? If so get in touch with your local rescue centre. They may be able to put you in touch with someone who needs to rehome pigs.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »
Well you have to keep the wife happy ;D  and if you get two just think of the Sunday roasts you could produce in the bar - all that lovely crackling  :innocent: :innocent:

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:04:47 pm »
I know Ive been told and thanks for showing us round. She has just said dont forget the sheep. What sheep  :o
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:07:25 pm by bucketman »

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »
The ones that you could put on your hill ground to fatten for the freezer of course :-J

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »
It will be ducks and geese next. Can see the web site now come and visit The Alt the only croft with a bar

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »
Pigs are social animals so one would not be happy. Is it for a pet ? If so get in touch with your local rescue centre. They may be able to put you in touch with someone who needs to rehome pigs.
No they would be for the freezer. But I don't think we have the right sort of land. Next time one of the local crofters come in in day light will take him outside and see what he thinks.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:29 am »
If its the brown sort just under the grass- then it's the right soil for pigs, Strong fencing and shelter with room in the freezer is all you need.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:28 am »
It will be ducks and geese next. Can see the web site now come and visit The Alt the only croft with a bar

Far from it, visit the Crask Inn (on the Lairig - Alltnaharra road) which is very much a working croft which happens to have an Inn on it.  They even (or did last time I was there) manage to produce a load of veg themselves for the hotel meals - in one of the hardest places in the Highlands.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:48 am »
Agree with tiz about the soil - but there does need to be soil, not flinty rock and no soil, and there does need to be soil the pigs can walk on, not a quagmire of mud to a depth of more than my wellies - which latter is what I have right now  :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
Will talk with the local crofter and see what he says.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS