Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 3512 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Leeks
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »
As it was such a lovely morning I decided to dig over and prepare the plot where my leeks will be grown next year. I am lucky to have 3 year old horse muck that the pigs cleared of weeds. Its almost like compost.Now it has been double dug into the ground, not too much but i am sure my leeks next year will love it.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:21 pm »
A good bit of morning work  :thumbsup: 

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »
Snap - i have 2 rows of leeks left but next to them I have been digging in the fossilised manure that we dug out of the barn as sheets ( we think it is > 25 years old). It has been outsie a few months and is soft at last.
Not sure what the temperature is here but I've been dripping sweat and need to change the T shirt. Even gave the pigs some water for a mud bath.  :excited:
Great day!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »
Far from warm with us, frost this morning but I just had to make the most of the sun when it did appear  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
We had a frost last week but I think the forecast was for 20 today - so being some ways south of you and in the sun it felt warm.
The ducks followed me to the Leeks and dived under every fork I turned to get the worms - the pigs had the weeds and my dog lay next to me on a path. Bliss !

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »
Sounds lovely MAK.....sunshine here too, so have spent the morning clearing up outside and sewing some winter salads.  I was completely blown away with the amount of water inside my ceramic pots., my plants have been drowning.  I also found a whopper hole in my chickens onduline roof so have fixed that as well.  Just need to reset the greenhouse roof......
Not quite T shirt weather but nice enough and a relief from the weekends weather.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »
What a difference a few days can make.
we have lit fires since my last post and the house has a winter feel with pots of soup and crafts going on rather than doors open and lunch outside. We have snow forecast for Thursday and being quite high up and some way in land we are aquainted with long bouts of severe cold. But then we have hot summers too.
Dug up all the swedes today and gathered the last few chestnuts for the pigs - it was like waving goodbye to 2012.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »
Plan to make leak and potato tomorrow with the last of this years leaks.  Comfort food is the only way to go.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:14 am »
Snap - I have instucted the other half to do the same as she makes it better than me  ;D - lots of black pepper quite thick ( I think she blitz half of it to make it thick then returns some chunks).. mmm Cold today too.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS