Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The cost of keeping pigs  (Read 10327 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: The cost of keeping pigs
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »
You definitely cannot begin to compare Tesco's 'pork' with own produced pork.

Raising free range pork is never going to be a cheap method of producing pork, what it is is a much less expensive way of getting your hands on some top quality free range/slow grown pork  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:31 pm »
it would be interesting to see some figures for kune kunes. as a comparison.

CaroleBulmer

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Barrington, Somerset
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »
I think if you are going to take the plunge you have to be aware that if you lose one (or more), and it can happen then there goes your profit.  We have always bought four and normally ours works out free as the cost is soaked up in the price that we sell the three for, however, we have been lucky in that we have freinds with over productive gardening patches.  With the ever increasing feed prices, I think that I am going to have to think long and hard before I purchase any in the near future - although you can not beat the taste.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »
We are pretty much self sufficient in food, I certainly wouldn't buy meat, and haven't for many years. I have kept pigs for the freezer from time to time but have given it up. If you have a goat or a sheep or a beef animal then most of its lifetime feed can be produced from grass and forbes. With pigs, if they are to finish, and not involve you meeting the animal welfare authorities, you have to provide them with just about every calorie. Fine if you grow grain, or it is as cheap as I can get it for here, but for most people in the UK that would involve buying it. And this just doesn't stack up in a hungry world IMHO.  :(

Grain is for people, or chickens, not pigs! Sheep can take a foodform that we cannot eat, ie rough grazing, and transform it into an animal protein that we can eat. There are lots of places that are just scenery and rough grazing from an agricultural standpoint, if we can turn that into food it has to be worthwhile?

Personally I eat very little red meat these days. I raise 50 meat birds outside on grass each year, and we eat the odd lamb and goat kid from time to time. I eat beef [sad to say usually in the form of an Angus burger :-[ ] on my occasional trips to the Big City, about twice a year, but find I don't miss pork at all.
Feels like a heart attack about to happen!

Don't get me wrong I like pigs as an animal, I have had some great friends over the years, but as a fledgling smallholder I would think twice about pigs on a small acreage and a tight budget.

Just my 10 cents worth!   :sheep: :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »
Ouch!

We were thinking about getting some weaners next year, but I have to say I'm thinking again now!  Adding up some of the figures mentioned above gives:

2 weaners    100
2x 400kg feed@8.25 per 25kg    264
Pig ark materials    50
Fencing upgrades    50
Slaughter & Cutting @ 25 each    50
total:    514

So if each pig were to yield 48kg of prime cuts (from Dan's link), you'd need to price that at a bit over £5.00 per kg to break even.  Given that Tescos joint prices (the easiest I could find) range from £3.50 to £10 per kg, it's clear this isn't going to make any return in price terms (though I hope it would in terms of welfare and taste of course).

Oh dear! Decisions, decisions!!  :pig: ;D

I spot an error David  ;)
You've got 2 x 400 Kg - it would be 400lbs, or approx 180 Kg for each pig  ;)
Halved your costs right away  ;D :thumbsup:

*Whispers* another way to raise them cheaper is to go for Kunekunes  :innocent:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:12 pm »
Can't believe no one's mentioned feed! Even if you only rear a couple of weaners from 8 weeks to pork weight it's gonna make a big dent in your bank balance.

There's feed info on the page I linked to. We calculated our weaners took about 400Kg of feed each from 8 wks to slaughter weight.

i think the 400kg came from here  :innocent:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »
This is complicated - too many variables. Cost will differ depending on ones' set up.
One thing that strikes me is the feeding regieme frequentley used to get pigs to slaughter. Why the rush and thus heavy reliance on expensive feed?
I guess if you do not have the land or time to cook spuds and root veg, collect fruit and nuts or have mates who can give you brewers grains or dairy waste then you need to buy grains.
I would not keep pigs if all I could feed them on was factory produced nuts. I can buy pork fed on these pellets from the supermerkets. It is so cheap here too.
To my mind there are 2 points to consider 1. Economics 2. Quality of home reared pork and pleasure of looking after the animals.
Others have already said on other threads that the economics do not stack up unless you have a good economy of sale and can sell your product at a good price. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 10:04:37 pm »

Hi guys,

Sorry for the comparison with Tescos. It was just the quickest source I could think of for pork prices.

We can't keep one weaner for welfare reasons, and it'll take ages for us to chomp our way through two of them. So, whilst I have no problem with paying a bit more for a quality product for ourselves to eat, I'm not so keen on subsidising any meat that we would have to sell to others.

It was the same thing with the turkeys and broiler chooks last year - worth the effort for ourselves, but the cost in time and money didn't justify the financial return for the ones we sold to friends. For poultry, the answer's simple - only rear what you want to eat yourself. However, for pigs it's not quite so simple!!   

Given that we have plenty of grass here, I'm thinking of putting the pigs on hold for another year, buying Kune meat from Happyhippy to keep us going  :thumbsup: , and getting some sheep instead, in the spring!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

PigsEatWeeds

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:33 am »
Thank you for all your responses. They are really helping me.

I am looking at keeping pigs for conservation grazing, as well as for as source of meat, so they will always have access to lots of forage. Does this mean that I can reduce the amount of supplementary feed I need to buy? Or are their any welfare restrictions on keeping them, almost entirely, on naturally foraged feed?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
Not sure what you mean by conservation grazing but in my experience neither of those things are what pigs do. Rooting, digging, ploughing yes, but not conservation or grazing.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:52 am »
Not sure what you mean by conservation grazing but in my experience neither of those things are what pigs do. Rooting, digging, ploughing yes, but not conservation or grazing.

a few out there doing it

www.grazinganimalsproject.org.uk/breed_profiles_handbook.html?

www.knepp.co.uk/pages/conservation/grazing_animals.asp
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:41:53 am by kja »
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

PigsEatWeeds

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:46 am »
That was a bit vague, sorry! It will be using their rooting behaviour to reduce bracken cover, possibly on large moorland and heathland sites, so they will have access to large areas, with lots of food.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »
I would think that traditional breed pigs would do well in a situation like that as it would suit their natural behaviour. Probably still need some feeding though especially if you have pregnant sows or sows with a litter. The pigs would need a lot of space to forage to avoid the whole area being rooted up but to some extent you could control the damage by varying the amount of space they have and/or the number of pigs in any given space.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 03:08:25 pm »
Traditionally there are a lot of pigs here in Manitoba. Canadian bacon is well regarded in the USA, indeed Canada is synonymous with bacon in the minds of many Americans!
But in the last few years the industry has taken a real hit largely through rising feed prices, and many barns have closed, too often involving horrible neglect which does no one any good and further blackens the industry.

But I know of one producer who makes money with outdoor Berkshires. He has about 1200 acres and the 80 sows move around with sheep and cattle. The whole property is ringed with a 7 strand electric fence with a 36 joule fencer. There are no buildings. In the winter the pigs are provided with 2000 lb round straw bales. They burrow into these and make dens. We do not get any rain in the winter, the precipitation falls as snow, and it is a very dry cold.  I myself, doubting that the pigs were warm enough, burrowed into one of their straw piles, it was surprisingly toasty.

They farrow once a year in June. It is impossible to get near them at this time as the sows will literally have your leg off.  :o  So nature has to take its course. They seem to raise about 8 piglets per litter. Now Hutterite colonies regularly get 32 piglets a year from each sow, so the production is low. But the costs are very small. The piglets are very healthy, either fit or dead I suppose. They do graze, and they eat many things that you wouldn't think a pig would eat, true omnivores.

They are fed on screenings, the cheapest form of pelleted grain available. This is basically weed seeds and foreign grains that grain elevators extract from wheat etc in the cleaning and screening process.

The piglets are killed at the end of the year and sold into the city as pasture finished pork. In a box scheme.
It is very healthy and tasty product.
As I say, this man continues to quietly make money with pigs whilst a lot of the mega barns are in crisis.

CaroleBulmer

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Barrington, Somerset
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »
Is KuneKune pork fat at all?  I have never eaten it but have freinds who we would be able to obtain piglets from in the future if we feel the need, however, we prefer our pork on the lean side and have always been led to believe that this breed runs to fat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS