Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The cost of keeping pigs  (Read 10325 times)

PigsEatWeeds

• Joined Nov 2012
The cost of keeping pigs
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to find out the real cost of keeping pigs. From the average cost of fencing, the price of arcs, to the amount you can get for a pig.

Other than for the cost of slaughter and butchery, I can't seem to find too much specific information. Can anybody help?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: The cost of keeping pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »
We put some of our costs up here in 2011:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/pigs/pig-costs/

For fencing, arks, how much you can get for a pig - the answer is always 'it depends'... On your ability, your land, the size of your intended operation, the breed of pig, whether you'll be breeding pigs, whether you're planning to sell weaners, older pigs through the ring, or butchered meat, and so on. There are so many variables that the 'real cost' will vary widely depending on the situation.

For fencing, if you're getting a contractor to supply and install fencing it'll cost far more than if you did the work yourself.

For arks - Google it, there are lots of ark suppliers, or it's not too hard to get the parts to build your own.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but there's no straightforward answer.  :-\

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »
Hi, :wave:

I have just taken 2 of our pigs to EV Slacks in Doncaster and they charged £20 slaughter/cutting of each pig.

HTH

Richard
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »
Fencing and arks are usually the biggest initial outlay, You can cut the cost of an ark by buying second hand or making one, but whatever you do, don't try to do fencing on the cheap, it has to be done well so it strong and it last and does the job of keeping the pigs in. Making your own arks is alot cheaper than buying if you have the time, as Dan says, it is easy to source your own materials and you are not paying the percentage which is put on the arks. 
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:39:06 pm »
Can't believe no one's mentioned feed! Even if you only rear a couple of weaners from 8 weeks to pork weight it's gonna make a big dent in your bank balance.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:31 am »
Can't believe no one's mentioned feed! Even if you only rear a couple of weaners from 8 weeks to pork weight it's gonna make a big dent in your bank balance.
Agree i'm using a 25kg sack per day with my lot 3 sows, 2 boars & 5 fatteners so thats £8.25 every day! It soon adds up and the price ain't gonna come down anythime soon. Practical pigs magazine has some costings in it this quarter if you can get your hands on a copy.
mandy :pig:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:30:08 am »

There's feed info on the page I linked to. We calculated our weaners took about 400Kg of feed each from 8 wks to slaughter weight.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:33:39 am »

There's feed info on the page I linked to. We calculated our weaners took about 400Kg of feed each from 8 wks to slaughter weight.
based on my feed then Dan it would cost £132 per pig to get it to slaughter weight.
cartainly 'food' for thought!
mandy :pig:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:34 am »
We are paying £9.50 for a 25k sack
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:50 am »
our last pigs that went off for meat had 4lb of feed a day (we do not do the plus a 1/4lb a week any more) so from 8 weeks to slaughter weight at 25 weeks they each munched through 476lb (216kg) feed based on this weeks prices that would have cost me £71 our feed is now £6.50 20kg the return was 144lb  meat & the sausages we forgot to weigh in addition to the weight.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »
Ours are eating just over a 20kg bag every day and it'll go up a bit as we've got a litter of 9 that are being kept on until they hit pork weight which is another couple of months away. I buy a ton pallet at a time which works out at 7 quid a bag. It's a nice feeling having a pallet full in stock but it's scary how fast it disappears. Our adult pigs are on 2kg a day each which I adjust slightly dependent on their condition, ie reduce it a bit if they're putting weight on.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:27:05 pm »
Some while I did a spread sheet showing the feeding costs. I've just tidied it up and taken a screen shot so I can share the information (I can't see how I can post an Excel Spreadsheet here)

The basis of it as shown is £8 for a 25kg sack and 1lb / day / month of their life principle. I've shown it for a single pig so you can easily do the sums that based on that.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
Ouch!

We were thinking about getting some weaners next year, but I have to say I'm thinking again now!  Adding up some of the figures mentioned above gives:

2 weaners    100
2x 400kg feed@8.25 per 25kg    264
Pig ark materials    50
Fencing upgrades    50
Slaughter & Cutting @ 25 each    50
total:    514

So if each pig were to yield 48kg of prime cuts (from Dan's link), you'd need to price that at a bit over £5.00 per kg to break even.  Given that Tescos joint prices (the easiest I could find) range from £3.50 to £10 per kg, it's clear this isn't going to make any return in price terms (though I hope it would in terms of welfare and taste of course).

Oh dear! Decisions, decisions!!  :pig: ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:28:56 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
You can reduce your feed bill by getting a cross especially with a more modern breed.  they finish quicker. If they are a late Spring Summer project then grazing can account for up to 15 percent of diet. 
Remember once youve got things up and running you can always do it again.  3 weaners sold in halves, you should be able to keep a half, make a bit of money, sell the rest to friends.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »
Womble you can't compare your own pork with Tesco, to be honest the price is irrelevant when it comes down to the quality you will get.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS