Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding  (Read 2017 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Feeding
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
We have 2 pygmy goats and a section A pony.  They are together 24/7, turned out in the morning, and brought in in the evening and they all share a stable - tried to have them separate, but the goats kept escaping so we decided to let them!  ;D

Anyway, dilemma is....in the morning, Dusty (pony) is fed fast fibre and the goats were fed a pygmy goat mix.  They kept switching so we are letting the goats eat the fast fibre.  I'm assuming this is ok?  In the evening, Dusty has her haynet and the goats have their pygmy goat mix but the problem is, Dusty keeps pinching their food and I don't think it's particularly good for her as she is prone to laminitis.  Is there anything we can give them all in the stable as well, that is going to give the goats what they need.  They do browse the leaves on the trees on the other side of the fence, and there are a lot of blackberry bushes there but, I'm a little concerned about when there are no leaves and the goats aren't getting what they require.

Does that make sense?  ???   Is fast fibre sufficient for them, as well as hay as they do get it in a hayrack.

Thanks  :goat: :goat: :horse:

Helen

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »
I don't know anything about fast fibre so I can't help on that.  I did wonder if it was possible to divide the stable, even if it's only while they are eating.

Their behaviour is proof of the saying 'the grass is always greener...'  I remember when a cat of mine had kittens and I giving her her usual dry food and feeding the kittens Farley's rusk in milk.  There was mother cat happily lapping up rusk and the tiny kittens with their tiny, tiny teeth crunching away at the dry food.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Feeding
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »
Thanks.   We could divide the stable and we were thinking of putting a bar up but she might be able to reach down to get the food.  If I wait for them to finish, I can keep her off but was just wondering if there was something they could both have, but give the goats what they require.

lol, I alway shave problems with pups pinching the adult food.  lol

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS