Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeds in Bulk  (Read 4270 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Feeds in Bulk
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:10:30 pm »
What feeds are you all using and do you buy in Bulk
We where feeding iansons dairy nuts but most of ours stopped eating them.
At the moment we are feeding an 18% mix from solway feeds and pay £330 a ton but it is not mollased , looking for something mollased that will be ok for the milkers and the Boers at a reasonable price delivered as a ton only lasts us around 11 weeks at the moment and we are about to increase the herd by another 3  ::)
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Feeds in Bulk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »
We use Davisons feed in Shotts. I think they would probably deliver as far as you. They make their own, we use the sheep course mix, and also their dairy cattle nuts. You have to order a ton at a time, but you can get half mix and half the dairy nuts, or any combination really. I know they deliver to the Scottish Borders definitely, so can't see why they wouldn't deliver into northern England. I will double check the last prices and let you know.

Their customer service is really good, if the feed price is going to go up or down, they phone and tell you so you can order it at the better price.

http://www.davidsonsfeeds.co.uk/

Castlehill Farm

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Methlick
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »

Try 1st stage calf mix pellets or calf coarse mix molassed.

This is good for milking or meat goats all round feed.

Pedigree Belted Galloway cattle, Soay / soay X sheep & Boer / boer X goats

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:16:50 pm »
Thanks for the replys
Will contact them  on monday to get prices
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
Just checked our invoice from the end of October. The cattle dairy nuts are £7.53 a 25kg bag (£301 a ton the invoice says).

The sheep rough mix is slightly more expensive, £9.35 a 25kg bag which according to the invoice is £374 a ton. It is 16% protein and is molassed.

Beth

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:52:55 am »
We use Davisons feed in Shotts. I think they would probably deliver as far as you. They make their own, we use the sheep course mix, and also their dairy cattle nuts. You have to order a ton at a time, but you can get half mix and half the dairy nuts, or any combination really. I know they deliver to the Scottish Borders definitely, so can't see why they wouldn't deliver into northern England. I will double check the last prices and let you know.

Their customer service is really good, if the feed price is going to go up or down, they phone and tell you so you can order it at the better price.

http://www.davidsonsfeeds.co.uk/

We buy sheep cake from Davidsons, so they certainly deliver as far over the border as we are (about 20 miles.)

However, we have to have a minimum of 4 tonnes. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:12 am »
Oh that's interesting Sally. It's definitely only a ton for us.

We live so near the mill that in summer we just go and fetch it, and only get it delivered in winter.

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »
The way I read it on the site is that its 4 ton bulk and 1 ton bagged , bulk is usualy loose with other companies
thanks for the prices, i will ring them tomorrow
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:07 pm »
We use Tarff Valley for all of our feeds (they are the closest to us and I go and buy in 25kgs bags), and our dairy nuts (Carrs Billingtons) are 8.05, rolled oats 8.30 and ewe&lamb mix is 7.65, the tup mix is 8.45. It has all gone up since the summer though... >:(
I could probably get a discount if I ordered a ton at a time, but cannot store it... and the rats would love our holding even more...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:13:59 pm »
I use Allen and Page dairy goat mix, sugar beet and dairy nuts but, as I only have three goats, buy it in 25kg sacks, two of dairy goat and one each of the others.  I couldn't store more than that and \i think it would lose it's freshness if I bulk bought.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:00:51 am »
I use a mixture of I'Anson's diary nuts and their sheep coarse mix, which is molassed. They seem to prefer one or the other on any given day  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS