Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worst shepherd ever  (Read 14368 times)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Re: Worst shepherd ever
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:06 pm »
Sheep are born to die, all you can do is distract them for as long as possible.
This year i lost one of my best tups 4 days before i was going to lose him to the ewes  :'(
At least they had a really nice life before they went   :sheep:

has to be a candidate for quote of the year :roflanim:

Thanks  ;D  shame its so true  ::)
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
Please don't worry Colliewoman the longer you live and work around sheep, the more mistakes are made and you never stop learning.
We have lost sheep to listeria this year and i've lost lambs in the past through silly mistakes that i should have rectified sooner, my only consilation is i wont make the same mistake twice.
Learn from it and move on, you are a good shepherd because foremost you care :hug:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »
I don't know if they stock it down your way but they make a sugar beet pellet that stays firm ,meant not to break up on the ground , or would shreads be an alternative?
But definately nothing you could have done differently in that situation = hard luck

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »
I've had a really bad year too CW, at times I wondered if it was worth it - they were just dropping dead on me, and typically all of them pedigrees bought in so a great financial loss too!  The main flock then got a virulent eye infection in summer which raged for months throughout the flock and I thought it was down to something I'd done  :( .  Every time I thought it had gone more went down with it or it reinfected ones that had had it!  I've had sheep for five years and never the problems I've had this year, despite my efforts to worm/vaccinate/be more efficient in my husbandry.  It makes you feel totally inadequate and despondent but I think it's just the way with sheep. 

Just when I thought all was finally well I went away in September for five days having checked the sheep beforehand, leaving them for my husband to check although he didn't know at the time how many I had.  On my return I brought them all in for worming and realised one of my favourites was missing, only to find her skeleton in the field!!  :o   What on earth happened to her I have no idea but I was gutted.  I can't blame hubby as I think she must have fallen ill in a corner of the field where she couldn't be seen, he was just watching for healthy sheep and obviously missed her.

Don't feel bad about it CW it's just sheep!  ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:05:30 pm by Remy »
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 09:13:56 pm »
i think you should all pat you re self on the back .you have looked and cared for you re animals and its bad luck that this has happend .As we say its only farming .Try and put this out of you re head i no its hard i have 200 sheep and in 2010 i left Friday night to go to a Friends house  i st opt over night when i got back 6 ewes lambed and they was all dead with the cold ,it was my folt but you have to Carey on .So you are not a bad Shepperd i hope things work out for you.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:45 am »
I hope by now Colliewoman you have stopped blaming yourself. .. all your animals think you are the bees knees.... and that's what counts.  :hug:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 08:03:02 am »
Awww, only just read this  :hug: :hug: :hug:   It happens as everyone says and just bloomin bad luck but you're a brilliant shepherdess and just look around you to see the proof.  :thumbsup: :hug:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 08:56:51 am »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Thanks guys, I am feeling better now :thumbsup:
Will be feeling even more so by this afternoon hopefully, with a few new sheepy faces about the place :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: ;D 
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 09:31:44 am »
My sheep will love being with you :) :) :hug:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 12:00:15 pm »
Awwww...now that's a perfik outcome  :thumbsup: :hug:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »
Totally away from the original topic..., but I have never heard the word "clusterf*ck" before... Maybe I have lived a sheltered live ;D  But it describes the situation perfectly!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »
My sheep will love being with you :) :) :hug:

they sooo will, you and donna are both similar types sylvia, as im sure you have noticed by now! i hope today went well, and that its been a good outcome to the problems.

a perfick outcome? definitely!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »
 :love: :sheep: :love: :sheep: :love: :sheep: :love: :sheep: :love: :sheep:
They are gert lush ;D ;D ;D

Trotted away up the hill and led down under the hazel bowers like they'd always been here :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
Bless  :hug: :excited: :thumbsup:
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »
Totally away from the original topic..., but I have never heard the word "clusterf*ck" before... Maybe I have lived a sheltered live ;D  But it describes the situation perfectly!!!

Clusterf*ck, first (and only) time I heard it used by anyone else was by an ex SBS person, I thought it was such a brilliant accurately descriptive word I appropriated it :innocent:, sometimes its the ONLY word that accurately sums things up

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS