Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meet willow  (Read 12568 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Meet willow
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:31:02 am »
Not with us yet but she's gona be mine soon

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Meet willow
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
 :love: she's a lovely girl.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »
Very nice  ;D

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »
Aww, congratulations, she's lovely.  :goat:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

lovely goat...

does she have friends coming with her?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:12:27 pm »
She is lovely  :love: what breed? where is she coming from? I bet you are very pleased
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »
She's from a breeder in derby.. It's the one you saw on preloved Plums..she's a gg togg cross and has one or two friends coming with her because she's in kid.. That should be fun. Talk about jumping in at the deep end... In for a penny in for a pound.. Looking forward to it.. Thanks for the lovely comments

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »
But she'll be on her own initially for at least 4 months? I really don't recommend keeping a goat who is used to company on her own.

What guarantee do you have that she is pregnant? And if she hasn't held to the mating can you take her back to be served by the billy again?

I notice she is horned, do you and Heidi not have children? To me, horns are an unnecessary worry if you have children.

My father had his cheekbone broken by a horned goat once- just think if it had been a couple of cm along, it could have been his eye.

How old is she?

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:00 pm »
Won't be having her till closer to the birth, children all grown up, keep a lookout for the horns :relief: she is three and half
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:33:46 pm by Carl f k »

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:35:42 pm »
Beth, we will bear the horns in mind..but...i am experienced with goats!..had them before..me and carl are gonna have a ball..no young kids so horns will stay... :goat:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »
She looks lovely but I'd be wary of the horns as well.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
Well, you've been doing your research so it was only a matter of time before you found your ideal goat!  If you've taken the risks with horns into account that is fine but I also think it a good idea for others to mention possible problems in case another reader isn't aware of the situation.  I think a lot of would-be owners study the forum without posting individual questions so it helps them if replies cover the subject from all angles.

She looks very pretty.  Love the name, too.  Congratulations, hope you enjoy every minute with her (and her offspring) as I do with my goats.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:50:00 pm »
Not with us yet but she's gona be mine soon

She is the exact same cross as my Enid, who I bought without knowing better with horns ::)
She is gentle and friendly and a liability at milking time as when she turns to nibble me whilst being milked I get poked with her horns. Now I love her to bits, and would not part with her but please do be careful :goat:
I would NEVER buy a horned goat again.
I am surprised a dairy set up didn't dis bud her as a kid TBH :-\
Anyway have fun with her but be careful!
Also are you keeping a kid from her as company? If not make sure to find another horned goat(can't believe I am writing that!) as an unknown polled/dis budded goat could end up with some very nasty injuries whilst they sort out who is who :o

One last thing.... sorry :-[
You say you won't be having her til nearer the birth, but how close? You run the risk of either keeping her on her own distressed or moving a heavily in kid goat :-\  could she not come sooner with a companion on loan perhaps?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »
I lied, there IS one more thing...
How come at 3 she isn't ear tagged?? You DEFINATELY want that sorted before she comes anywhere near your holding :thinking:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 08:04:15 pm »
Well, you've been doing your research so it was only a matter of time before you found your ideal goat!  If you've taken the risks with horns into account that is fine but I also think it a good idea for others to mention possible problems in case another reader isn't aware of the situation.  I think a lot of would-be owners study the forum without posting individual questions so it helps them if replies cover the subject from all angles.

She looks very pretty.  Love the name, too.  Congratulations, hope you enjoy every minute with her (and her offspring) as I do with my goats.

She is small and very friendly has been hand milked before so weighing it all up should be fine.. Will probably disbud the kids so there's only one set of horns to look after

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS