Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meet willow  (Read 12570 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Meet willow
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
Will be keeping the kids. Ear tag will be fitted when she comes and ill be making one of those milking stands that hold her head out the way.. I thaught of everything I think but thanks for the input..just incase I forgot anything

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 08:29:38 pm »
I have to agree about being very carefull around horns
I have heard so many horror stories some involving friends. From loosing eyes to other animals being stabbed
I would never ever have a horned goat here
I do know someone who puts tennis balls on the end of her goat to milk to reduce the risk
As for moving her sooner rather than later would be better for her with another goat she knows. You dint want her getting knocked about by a strange goat just the same as you dont want to stress her out any more than she already will be with the move by sticking her on her own ::)
Graham

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 08:32:29 pm »
Thanx for your advice ...carl and I have researched for mths and visited owners of goats, ..i have already kept HORNED goats and i was excited about sharing our new member to our family but im sick of being made to be thick when i am very knowledgeable ! Im sorry if this offends but to be honest im sick of people going on about things we av already know.be happy for us..! Especially carl who is so excited.enuff said..i WILL NOT be on here again..stresses u out on here..ps.it ear tags!..just not pierced as they get ripped out.end of rant :rant: :rant: :rant:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
Carl - one thing to ask the current owner is what vaccination routine has she been using? If none, please start her off on Lambivac/Heptavac (speak to your vet) asap. If you go onto Lambivac (recommended for goats rather than Heptavac), please also consider vaccinating against Pasteurella - it does kill adult goats too.
I am on the "always disbud" side too, but obviously everybody makes their own choices. I think some of use have seen a fair number of new goatkeepers being unaware of horns and how they are being used by goats, and we are concerned rather than trying to put you off.
Enjoy your goats when they arrive - and yes that's plural. Please make sure she has got a companion when she arrives.
What kind of male has she been mated to and is this her first kidding?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
I keep Old English goats, who always keep their horns. My sheep had horns too (til this year and a breed changes). You just work with them in mind.

Heidih, I really don't think anyone is trying to diss you  :-* 1. Not everyone knows how much you do, or don't know, so people just say stuff to be helpful. And I suppose we care more about animal welfare and people getting on well with their animals than about tact and diplomacy  ;) And 2. Even if you know, maybe someone else reading the thread for info. doesn't, so it's helpful if everything is said. Wonder why it gets to you so badly?

What other animals have you got - is there someone there she could 'hang around with' til her kids are born?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »
Yep, agree with Jaykay on this. To be perfectly honest, it has been Carl who has been active in the goat section, not yourself, so I wasn't aware you had kept goats before.

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »
Carl - one thing to ask the current owner is what vaccination routine has she been using? If none, please start her off on Lambivac/Heptavac (speak to your vet) asap. If you go onto Lambivac (recommended for goats rather than Heptavac), please also consider vaccinating against Pasteurella - it does kill adult goats too.
I am on the "always disbud" side too, but obviously everybody makes their own choices. I think some of use have seen a fair number of new goatkeepers being unaware of horns and how they are being used by goats, and we are concerned rather than trying to put you off.
Enjoy your goats when they arrive - and yes that's plural. Please make sure she has got a companion when she arrives.
What kind of male has she been mated to and is this her first kidding?
[/quote

I will have to find out about vaccines Anke, it's her second kidding and dad is a togg
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:45:06 pm by Carl f k »

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »
Yep, agree with Jaykay on this. To be perfectly honest, it has been Carl who has been active in the goat section, not yourself, so I wasn't aware you had kept goats before.

Beth

I havn't but Heidi has but I like to research was the same with tropical fish.. before a embark on a new project.. So I may be a novice but well prepped one

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 11:00:30 pm »
I keep Old English goats, who always keep their horns. My sheep had horns too (til this year and a breed changes). You just work with them in mind.

Heidih, I really don't think anyone is trying to diss you  :-* 1. Not everyone knows how much you do, or don't know, so people just say stuff to be helpful. And I suppose we care more about animal welfare and people getting on well with their animals than about tact and diplomacy  ;) And 2. Even if you know, maybe someone else reading the thread for info. doesn't, so it's helpful if everything is said. Wonder why it gets to you so badly?

What other animals have you got - is there someone there she could 'hang around with' til her kids are born?

Thanks jaykay we have chooks ducks and rabbits. She lives with chooks now so mite be an idea

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »
I am surprised a dairy set up didn't dis bud her as a kid TBH 

Who said anything about a dairy set up??  ???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:59 am »
Thanks jaykay we have chooks ducks and rabbits. She lives with chooks now so mite be an idea
OK, I was thinking more if you had sheep or a pony. Someone might have a wether kid or goatling that they'd let you have for not a lot, to be a friend for her.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:59 am »
Was thinking about this overnight. You are like me Carl in that you are researching as much as you can before you step in (see my border collie threads!!).  I was wondering if you would be interested in coming along to some of our Worcestershire goat club meetings?  We have people from Oxford and all over the place so its not confined to worcester  :)
Over the winter/spring we meet monthly. We cover topics such as mating, kidding(when to step in/what mum needs immediately after birth/not to feed concentrate etc), kid care (ie. knowing when to disbud/worm/vaccinate etc) and its first Saturday each month just off of the M5. It also places you into a network of fairly local goat keepers and for Heidi might be a nice refresher and for you a good place to learn (as it has been for me). Let me know if you want more details  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
You're new goat looks absolutely lovely Carl & Heidi and not dissimilar to our Daisy, horns and all.

When we got Daisy, our first goat, we broke every rule in the book! She had horns (shock horror!) and was used to her own company but we learnt fast. Now she has other goat company which took her a while to get used to but she has 'adopted' a goatling and they are inseparable now.She wasn't interested in the sheep we got for company. And apart from a few bruises on my leg which were more my fault than hers for being in the wrong place when its feeding time, the horns don't worry me.

You're lucky to be able to access info and advice through local goat clubs, a luxury we didn't have being so remote up here. Even Animal Health & SAMU had to go look up info for us when we had to register the death of one of our goats so apart from this website and trawling through pages on the internet we had very little in the way of on-hand experience to draw on but we just got on with it. I found you learn just as much from the goat as you do from anywhere else and as Heidi points out she's done this before so just enjoy Willlow when she arrives and keep us updated with pics on the arrival of the kids  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:55:16 am by fiestyredhead331 »
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 01:27:48 pm »
I am surprised a dairy set up didn't dis bud her as a kid TBH 

Who said anything about a dairy set up??  ???

OOps  :-[ :-[ that was me!
I could have sworn I read you had her from a dairy set up but was mistaken, my apologies :-*
Plums, what a fab offer! I wish there had been something similar near me when I 1st started :D
Have fun with her, I wonder if she will be as naughty as Enid? ;D ;D ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »
Heidi, no-one thinks you're thick and I hope you do come back.  I know you've done your research (although I don't remember you mentioning you'd had goats before when you visited us) and you asked advice so I know you prepared well.

I kept my first goat on her own to start with, not intentionally but I had bought two with a friend, and was keeping them in her garden, and she then decided she didn't like the white one so I could have her and didn't have a lot of choice other than to end up with no goat at all.  As the goat lived very near the house, she had people around most of the time, and the dogs, so didn't seem to suffer but is much happier with company. 

I think Willow is a lovely name too.  My son had a rat called Willow once.  I am intrigued though that she is a GG x Tog but is white like a Sanaan. 

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS