Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cider Storage  (Read 5689 times)

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
Cider Storage
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:03 am »
Hello,

This the first of the last 4 years that I have really had a decent apple crop and resulting cider pressing. With the excess I'm trying out oak barrel storage and here is the documentation of progress till now. I have obtained a second hand wine barrel, category firkin or in the neighborhood of a 39 liter storage capacity though now there is closer to 34 liters in there.

I hope to provide updates on a successful brewing.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: Cider Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
Good stuff, thanks for posting Donald  :thumbsup:
You lucky guy, that looks a great solution. I am currently deciding how to store my 75 litres brewed this year (see here for details) but it will be a ragtag mixture of pop bottles, glass bottles, the odd little keg and flagon.

Are you planning on still cider or sparkling? I presume the former with a wooden barrel? Cheers, Olly
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:30:45 pm »
Hello,
You're telling me you pressed 75 liters with that little hand press? Amazing!

Just racked 22 or 23 liters today and stacked them in the kelder. As far as what I hope to get in the end, well simple, anything that's drinkable. I'm not a choosy one when it comes to cider.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:28 am »
Yup!  ;D

I'm, sure your cider will be good. The strategy for fizzy is to add some more sugar and seal the container, which must be pressure-tight. The CO2 generated during the extra fermentation adds 'condition' to the liquid. Conditioned cider has the extra advantage that the CO2 forms a protective blanket over the liquid, excluding air.

I'm not sure this would work with wood, so still cider is probably the way forward. But have you considered that with the barrel half full you will be exposing a large surface area to oxygen, which creates favourable conditions for acetobacter to thrive and turn it into vinegar... I don't know how people normally cope with this, apart from observing strict sanitation obviously, to prevent the organism entering in the first place.

Just a heads up I guess. Cheers
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »
Oh man, I did that last time and the next time I popped a cork, emptied the bottle on the ceiling. This time I'm going about it all differently.
Maybe you are suggesting I fill the barrel to the bung. I'll look into that though beforehand I sterilized it pretty thoroughly. After scrubbing it good inside, my favorite part was to put it back together and then burn a part of a sulfur wick in there. I couldn't hold my nose above the bung hole the fumes were so acidic. No bacteria were alive after that to get reactivated. That was my hope anyway. Since then it has been bubbling away, which seems a good thing. Thanks for your words of caution though, I will keep an eye on things.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:14:41 am by Donald »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
I bought twelve of these three weeks ago. They're oak barrels from the French wine industry and all of them were made in either 2007 or 2008.

I quickly knocked this stillage up.

and now I have a new cider storage room. They've been filled to the brim with sterising solution for the last two weeks.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »
Goodness me, they look fantastic. I take it you have a pint or two of cider knocking about?  :o 8)
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »
About 3000 litres. This summer will see me selling cider commercially for the second year. I supply four pubs locally through out the summer and I also sell from the farm gate on 12 days with an occasional licence. In addition I have half a dozen shows and events lined up.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:22 am »
Good for you. Where abouts is your "gate"?
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:50 am »
North Wales.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:24:13 pm »
Good to follow this, thanks for putting the info and pics up. Would love to read a bit more detail about your apple collection, pressing and brewing process. With photos would be even better!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS