Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleece processing  (Read 5347 times)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Fleece processing
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
Due to a triumph of mismanagement, I have a couple of Jacobs fleeces that looked like more like a birds nest than wool.  I have since combed been through one and combed the twigs out, and it's now sorted into its colours, twig free and unwashed.  However it's no longer whole and is now mixed up.  Would I be right in assuming a commercial processor would be able to wash and spin it in this state (assuming I can find one to take a small quantity to)?  Or had I just better save it and use it to learn to spin with when I've got time?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Fleece processing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:50:44 pm »
I belive it would be to small a quanity.

Do you have spinning and weaving guilds near by that can help you out.

Linz

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »
Wrong!!!!

I will take and wash and card anything from 1 fleece to 100+.......so 2 jacobs are not a problem!

We have scouring facilities, opening and blending machines and carders so can prepare it for spinning or felting!

Please get in touch!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Nik

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
xnbacon, hope you don't mind if I ask a question similar to yours :)

TWS - would you take my fleeces and do something (technical term!) with them - it would be 7 black hebridean and 2 white (from my strays) - last year I paid to get them taken off and then gave them away ::)  Just wondering if I could do something useful with them :)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
Hello Nik

Yep I can do something!!

Heb is very nice and felts well so could do you some black sheets of heb felt with white flecks, spots or stripes from the strays! or I could make the whole lot together into a shade of grey!

I could enquire re spinning too if you wanted.

To wash card and felt will be £20 per returned kg......thats the weight after washing etc.....we do not charge for the dirt we remove ;D ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »
What the  best way to pack a fleece to sent to you as i am considering doing something with them this year rather than have the wool board have them for a pittance. Have Ryeland white and coloured.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:09:20 pm »
Hello

Best way is a woven polypropeleyne sack squashed as much as possible and sewn or tied.....I can send you some if you need?

Just post wool to Woolly Waste from the Woolly Shepherd, Unit O Block 19, Flightway Business Park, Dunkeswell, Honiton, Devon Please make sure it does not arrive at the weekend unless by prior arrangement and let us know by email/phone its on its way......we need to make sure we are there to receive it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Nik

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:44:41 pm »
Thanks, just need to get them done and will be in touch would be nice to do something with them :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS