Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ripped ear  (Read 6108 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
ripped ear
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:46 pm »
One of my 8 month old females has ripped her ear in half by catching the eartag - grrr

I used the smallest eartags without loops but they are still a problem.

Luckily she's just for breeding and not for showing, it must be infuriating if they have that happen then 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: ripped ear
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
Horrible things  >:(  Have had so many tags ripped out, goats have got sieve ears now.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »
My goats and my shetlands do it - what a pain (for them and me) and the other day saw mum of the kid I kept this year tugging her ear tags - great....... I guess she was thinking get rid of that foreign object but still....
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »
Several of my Shetlands have done it, including one lamb - she's torn her ear but not actually pulled out the ear tag, it's just now down right at the tip of her ear, making it floppy  :P Another I bought with three tags and now she has just the one.

Ellie has managed to lose her ear tag completely without tearing her ear - goodness knows how.

Bloody things (ear tags not Shetlands and goats  ;))

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »
Puffins done the same Jaykay - perfect hole in the ear and ripped tag (which is better I guess!) Am going to try and re pierce through same hole (steady hand needed!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:09:12 pm »
Actually I have had lots of infections under the tag (probably a small tear), and not even soon after putting the tags in but months later... So I have been cutting the tags out and taken photos of the ear all oozing gunk etc etc. Then ordered replacements, but so far these live in a box...
None of the goats have torn their ears (YET), and for the sheep - none of the ones that I tagged (with SETtags from Shearwell) have so far lost their tags... :o , but most of the tags of bought-in animals are half broken or lost... Have a few with sliced ears (from before they came here).

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »
We have also had several goats get the tags caught, thankfully not ripped them out but bad enough to cause a small tear and end up with infected ears.
we bought 1 Nanny in 3 years ago and the tag had gone down inside the ear and was bedded into the flesh  :o
One of our lambs has a rip the whole length of her ear where she stuck her head through the fence and then got her tag caught  :(
I detest the damned things and wish they would go back to tattoos because anyone can change a tag in an animals ear for another tag if they really wanted too !!
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:33:04 pm »
Cloud has had her tags caught in the gate and in my wedding ring.  So far no tears but I'm sure it will happen.  I'd rather have tattoos as well.  Hate the look of tags as well as the risk.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »
 I don't use the small tags, too easy to catch or just slip through the ear! The ferel boys I picked up on Monday all had littletags and one had already lost his just bringing them home!!!!
   I always dip the point on Aloe Vera before tagging.Unfortunately the tags I found the best aren't available anymore and the only ones I could get were the round button ones and they are horrible :(

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:43 pm »
The kid must have caught it in the fence - I use the smallest tags in 2 bits, so no loop. At the ADAS meeting I went to last year, tags were discussed and we were advised to send photos to defra when it happens - as lots of goat keepers don't want to tag because of this problem

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
It's odd the different perspective people have now. We didn't tattoo at all for a couple years, which was during the time my OH moved in with us. Then we had a kid who we sold which was terribly good at loosing ear tags, so we decided to tattoo her before she went to the new home so she would have a permanent mark.

Got out the tattoo set, and my OH was horrified! Said it looked like a piece of medieval torture equipment  :roflanim:  Despite the fact he didn't like the effect tags have, he was still shocked at how viscous tattooing is.

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:37 pm »
Don't think I'm gonna tag until needed when I have goats

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »
The trouble is it is needed.... How do you know when you might get a inspection visit?

Beth

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »
Wot they gona do?? Shoot me :roflanim:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
Don't think any shooting is involved - just a warning, re-inspection then a fine if you've not done what your supposed to!!

Then your probably in for more checks!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS