Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ref fluke and combinex  (Read 2744 times)

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
ref fluke and combinex
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »
gave our small flock of sheep (4) and our goats (5) a dose of combinex for worm and fluke but cannot find any information if this needs repeating after a certain time, the literature that came with it and looking on various sites dosent mention anything only on dose to give , would appretiate input on subject, thanks carol. :goat: :goat: :sheep: :sheep:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: ref fluke and combinex
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »
Depends whether you intend to use the same product, what your local environment is like, and which parasite you are trying to protect your animals from.
Personally I wouldn't use a combined product, as I don't need to worm over winter, but I do need protection from fluke as my area is very wet.  Thus I would give a flukicide every 10-12 weeks (depending on the product - Flukiver or Triclafas in my case) from Sept through to May.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:29 pm »
I don't know what the dosage of Combinex would be for goats, have you spoken to your vet about this? Most wormers (except one and don't know from the top of my head which one) have to be given at at lueast 1.5 if not twice the sheep dose for goats. Unless there is clear evidence (faecal count) that the goats have fluke, I wouldn't treat them.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:45 pm »
Avoiding the combination aspect,

Fasinex is Triclabendazole so it should kill all the fluke currently in your sheep (if given at the right dose). Closantel based drugs will need a repeat dose later as it doesn't kill young fluke.

Hope that helps.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:55:25 pm »
Ask your vet about repeat dosing advice for your area.

We are a very flukey area here, so would need to repeat dose sheep after 6-8 weeks to maintain protection.  "Normally" (whatever that means now), fluke is a winter problem, worms a summer one, hence we would 'normally' give the final fluke dose before lambing, but these very wet years we've had to carry on fluking throughout the year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:56:17 pm »
Probably best to establish if you actually have fluke first.

I went a bit spend-happy and bought closantel this summer which I dosed the ewes with on the supposed risk (by me) of fluke, as I hear fecs for fluke are not really that accurate. The lambs got something much cheaper and targeted at the worms they actually had.

Guess what? I've not got fuke, never had fluke so basically I wasted £60.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:58 am »
Fluke is one of the hard ones for FEC, as it's an influx of young fluke that can kill your animals, and a FEC will never pick up fluke until they are 9 weeks plus.

If you don't know if fluke is problem in your area ask around, farmers will know.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS