Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickens in goat shed  (Read 6232 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
chickens in goat shed
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:53 pm »
my chickens are in coops at night and goats in goatsheds and never the two are mixed, however, just this week I have 3 "flighty" chooks that have started to roost in the goat shed. Is this ok or should I discourage
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: chickens in goat shed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »
I really wouldn't want to have chicken poop all over the hay, in water buckets or on the goats themselves - I am sure the goats wouldn't either...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:50 pm »
And they scratch up your open bales of hay and straw too.... I try and keep ours out .

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
and they lay eggs in the hay!  Puffin, my Togg nanny found a white star hen had taken to nesting in her shed. The poor goat was so terrified that this white bundle of feathers might be in there that she would stand outside in sheeting rain rather than go into her shed.
Took weeks of goaty therapy to get her over that. Sadly 'maud' the white star is no longer with us. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »
cheers for that folks, will put a stop to it
mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
Apart from the eggs in the hay which stops the goats eating it my goats and hens get along fine.  If they hens get too near the food the goat butts them out the way.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 01:44:00 am »
My chooks spend rainy days (ie most of them  ::)) in the goat byre during the day. They do make a mess and they have perfectly nice houses, but still. I can't leave open the door so the goats can come and go, without the chooks doing the same. I kick them out at dusk, back to their houses so at least the goats get some peace then.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:26 am »
My turkeys live in the next stable to the goats. It is wired from wall to roof to keep them in at night with their food but they wander in and out freely in the goats part and paddock all day.I have a board over the hay rack and the hay is away anyway. It does get poopy but I have more problems with starling poop.One of my hill cats has just returned after her Summer away and taken up her Winter quarters in the shed so she should keep the starlings down now.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:11 am »
Apart from the eggs in the hay which stops the goats eating it

Does it? I remember one Easter morning when I found a young billy with egg all over his face... ;D

Wherever I worked on farms which had both goats and poultry, the latter was very free range and it would have been impossible to keep them out of the goat sheds. Never seemed to be a problem.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
lol, forgot about that.  Yes I have had my sheep chomping on the eggs, however, in this case the goats can't each but for some reason they won't eat the hay if chooks have walked all over it.  Might explain why no eggs for a few days though!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:53 am »
Our lot get into the goat shed every time they get the chance, One of the goats actualy waits for them to start clucking after they lay an egg and eats them if we dont get there first !
Last year we had a Polish bantam  chick that was chased away from the rest of the clutch by its mum and it moved into the goat shed, it was convinced it was a goat and followed them everywhere,even sitting on the goats backs  ::)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:11:46 am by sokel »
Graham

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:05 am »
Och your all meanies, they're just trying to get cosy and have a bit of company, who can blame them on these frosty nights.  Maybe a wee mouse comes along to read some bedtime stories to all of them - or perhaps they're rehearsing for the nativity play.  :D   Your spoiling all the fun!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:33 pm »
Our lot get into the goat shed every time they get the chance, One of the goats actualy waits for them to start clucking after they lay an egg and eats them if we dont get there first !

I hope the goat only eats the eggs, not the hen.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:58 am »
I agree with goosepimple , it is lovely to see the Nativity! Last year we had a poorly ewe in that shed as well, so ducks turkeys, sheep and goats. The ducks have their own seperated spot as do the turkeys so the food does not get mixed up  as ruminants are not to have chook food but they all get on and it is as clean as I can get it.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 10:04:09 am »
...just needs a star of David for the top of the shed Hermit and you never know, someone might stop to look for a room at the inn  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS