Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting wool spun - help please!  (Read 4059 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Getting wool spun - help please!
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:50 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of help! :-\
I've got a lovely lot of fleeces from our Ryelands this year and I would like to get them cleaned, carded and spun ready for selling.  I can do all of this but my spinning is not quite uniform enough (in my opinion) to sell, and I don't have enough time to spin 20 fleeces!

The Natural Fibre Company is only half an hour or so from me, but I can't afford their prices (being a student who is trying to save for a wedding and pay half a mortgage - what was I thinking?!).  I spoke to Cold Harbour Mill today and was told that they don't spin it, but will card it...but I still have to wash it and then get it spun.

Can anyone help?  I'm happy to wash and card the wool, but I just need somewhere/someone who can spin it at a price I can afford!  :sheep:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:59:23 am by Shnoowie »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Getting wool spun - help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:58 am »
Shnoowie, your spinning is probably perfectly good enough.  People who want to buy handspun don't want a uniform yarn that looks machine-made; they'd buy a machine-made yarn if they did! ;) :D

But yes, 20 fleeces is a lot.

Your local Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers will probably have one or two professional spinners who may be prepared to spin up your fleece for you.  They will also be able to give you advice about how and where to prepare the fleece for spinning; it's really not just a matter of washing it and shoving it through the drum carder, that just gives you neppy awfulness that is no pleasure to spin and makes garments that pill.  (And be aware that there are some operations offering a carding service who don't seem to know that. ;) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:23:46 am »
Thanks, Sally. :D I've been looking at a variety of washing and carding techniques and have been trying out different sorts to see how the wool comes out when spun.

I shall have a look at my local group and see what they can do!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:09 am »
It won't be cheap however you get it spun  :(
The slight advantage of millspun is that it's cheap(er) and consistent but to most buyers it's just like any other yarn they may buy, so is priced accordingly.   Handspun is very special but has a limited market because it has to be sold at such a premium.  Skilled hand dyeing will add greater 'must have' so should sell better.

My advice would be to investigate your market and do your sums before committing to getting it spun anywhere, especially when money is so tight.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:18:45 pm »
Hi Shnoowie, I know you're west and we're east side, but I have heard many good things said about these people, if it helps at all...

http://www.diamondfibres.co.uk/site_map.htm

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:51 am »
Thanks, SmallTime. I'll have a look at them!

I've got a while to do some research; I've got to wash and card all the fleeces before they even see a wheel!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS