Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single Farm Payments  (Read 3400 times)

NRT

• Joined Oct 2012
Single Farm Payments
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:07 am »
Hi, does anyone know a good land agent in wiltshire? and the other question is...is it usual that someone renting land via a summer grazing agreement would be able to register someone else's land for SFP?
thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Single Farm Payments
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:29 am »
I used to live in Wilts but can't now remember who'd be good or bad - throw me some names and I'll tell you if I know / remember any of them?  I wasn't farming at the time, but was WWOOFing and was always looking wistfully at smallholdings and land to buy...

Re: SFP, I think that broadly land had to have been registered by whoever was farming it in 2002 or whenever it was the scheme started.  Since then entitlements have been bought and sold, but the payments can only be claimed by whoever is farming that land on a certain day in the year - I think it's May 15th.  And you have to state that you expect to still be farming that land by some other date, I think it's in October.  I think landowners can claim for the land they rent out, as they are causing it to be farmed, and I am sure farmers can claim for the land they farm on a tenancy or grazing license as we have one field on a tenancy and some on an 11/12 (one month vacant per annum) grazing agreement, and get SFP for all of them.  We have summer grazing on one other field and do not claim SFP on that one, although I think we probably would be eligible with the landowner's approval. 

I suspect that the landowner's agreement would be required for claiming SFP on ground you do not own.

When the current SFP scheme was introduced, many retiring farmers bought 'naked acres', small pieces of ground on which they could hang their historical entitlements.  But the historical component of the payment is now zero, so all payments relate to acreage, type of ground and type of use.

I'm not very certain of all this as SFP is so complex we pay someone to do ours; I maybe could work it out myself but am pretty sure it would shorten my life every time I had to get into it; the HLS scheme certainly does.  When I'm dealing with an HLS query, BH runs for the hills until he thinks I'll have it finished.

I don't know whether any of that helped at all, or just made it all more obtuse!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
we heked if we were entitled to them when we first took the croft on. but because the person that previously owned it never applied we were not allowed to apply. has this now changed.

NRT

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »
that's very helpful thank you!! sounds like to need to fine a good land agents locally that has more of an appetite for paperwork than i do.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
I rent all my grazing on short term lets and sadly no SFP for me, but this may change in 2015....

As I am fond of repeating ad nauseam, it does, however make me more profit driven which can only be a good thing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS