Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cows or Sheep??  (Read 2604 times)

NRT

• Joined Oct 2012
Cows or Sheep??
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »
Hi,
i have a small farm (well small holding really) and have been renting 15 acres for £600 to a local farmer who makes hay and grazes his cows. he has also registered my land to recieve SFP (but thats another topic). i have been considering stopping this arrangement and offering 8 acres up for sheep grazing...is that a good idea and what could i expect is return pa?
many thanks...quite new to all this and don't want to upset the farmer but need to be a bit more commercial..
thanks

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
Re: Cows or Sheep??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:13 pm »
I pay £80 per acre for an 11 month rent, some in my area charge £60 for summer and 25P per head per week. £80 per acre works out at £16 per head per year at which I can make a profit (Thats 5 to the acre).I do not claim by sfp on this ground.But I think you can see £16 for grazing, £x for the tup, shearing £1, hay and drenching still leaves me a good bit of money.
The guy on your ground is getting a really good deal as you are carging £40 an acre. Whats your fencing like will it keep in sheep?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Cows or Sheep??
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
8 ac? Can hold 3ewes + lambs in summer and 1.5 sheep in winter per acre so thats 24 summer and 12 in winter. If its grazinf only id offer £10/ ewe/yr so in this case about £20/ac approx which is £160.

Personally, Id offer a couple of lambs for the freezer instead of money changing hands for that ammount of land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS