Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exploding Eggs  (Read 6570 times)

crafty Chic

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Retford, Nottinghamshire
Exploding Eggs
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:53 am »
Hi
Please Help, My chickens have only been laying for a week now, and the eggs from one of chickens seem to be exploding in the frying pan, I thought I’d been shot lol.  Has anyone had the same problem or know what it is?
Many Thanks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Exploding Eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:04:38 am »
Sounds like water in them somehow - no idea why - Rosemary to the rescue here I think!  Have you tried dry frying them slowly in a non stick pan?  I always do that with mine anyway as a healthy option to 'real' frying.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »
I have not had that problem with my hens but in the past I was burned near the eye by an exploding fried egg I had a scare for ages, I wounder if your eggs get a bit shaken up!!!!! ;D maybe then they get air bubbles

Wellieboots

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:38:39 am »
On very rare occasions you can get small air bubbles forming between the yolk & the albumen which will expand when you put them into the frying pan (heat expanding air). This is very rare so i'd suggest that it is merely air getting trapped under the egg when you break them into the pan.

Try poaching them, if it still happens then it is the former, if not then its how you break them into the pan.

crafty Chic

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Retford, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:35:51 am »
Hi
Thank you for the replies and advice, we have tried dry frying which was a little better, but we have been having scrambled and omelettes, which I must say have absolutely delicious.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:06:44 pm »
And less dangerous!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS