Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too Young to be Broody?  (Read 8670 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Too Young to be Broody?
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:16:08 pm »
Since moving to a smallholding in March, and joining this great forum I've added 20 hybrid POL and 3 GOS weaners to the gang.

Got loads of great info from previous posts on the forum, so haven't had to ask any questions...until now!   I hope you may be able to help.

I got the 20 POL on 11th April, all hybrids of different sorts.  They have settled in really well and the egg numbers have gradually increased to an average of 16 a day....the most being 19!!

Anyway, one of the speckledys has been spending a lot of time in the boxes over the last few days.  She was one of the first to start laying and she definitely laid an egg yesterday, not sure about today.

She looks bright and 'with it', her comb looks good and is red.  I've been lifting her out and she is drinking, eating and pooing well, but she heads straight back to the boxes again.

I would appreciate your advice on whether anything is wrong.....and what should I do?  Is she too young to be broody? 

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Too Young to be Broody?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:38:57 pm »
I'm sure others more experienced than me will tell you, but at a rough guess, I'd say if they can lay an egg they can become broody.  After all the egg laying is the first step, hatching it is the logical next step.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:59 pm »
She could be broody. She'll start to resist being taken off the nest and will make a broody noise. Do you want her to be broody?

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:34:01 am »
Is she still laying every day, if so, unlikely that she is broody - they tend to like to lay a batch before sitting. Also, if she is broody, she will attempt to peck at you, and will puff herself up to twice her normal size if you try to move her....

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:54:55 am »
Many thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking to add to the hen numbers at the moment, so would prefer not to have her broody to hatch any eggs.  Is there a way to stop her being broody, if she is?

She didn't lay an egg yesterday, I will keep an eye out today.

She doesn't peck at me when I move her, but she does puff herself up.  She slept on the perches with the others last night, but within 1/2 hour of getting up and eating/drinking/pooing she went into the boxes again.

If she isn't broody, any ideas if something is wrong with her and what I should do?

All thoughts gratefully received.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:31:33 am »
i've got the sme problem. One of my younger hens refuses to come out of the nest box and she gets really angry when I move her. Also when I lock her out the other hens peck her and chase her. Does she give off some smell or something that the others feel threatened by?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:36 am »
I'm afraid I can't be of much help with your hen.  Fortunately mine isn't being picked on or chased by the others.

I think mine is broody, so every time I pass I've been lifting her out and putting her near the food and water so that she has some before she wanders back in.  I presume this is the right thing to do.

Anyone have any thoughts about whether there is anything else I could or should be doing to help her? 

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:06:42 am »
If you dont want her broody then just take all the eggs regularly and pick her up and move her, she'll soon give up! mine go broody all the time but its not always convenient, so I just move them off! some only do it for a few days but some are persistant! so I then move them (if I have space) to a separate house with a clutch of eggs.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:44 am »
Many thanks Dixie.

She's still sitting today.  I'll keep collecting the others eggs and moving her off, but if she is still as persistent in a couple of days then I may well look around for some hatching eggs.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:39:52 pm »
My hen went broody at just under 30 weeks.  Hatched a chick under her and she started laying again once chick was 5 weeks old.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »
Well my broody is definitely very persistent......I've arranged to collect some eggs for hatching tomorrow morning.

I'm quite excited to see if any do hatch.

Watch this space!!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:29 am »
Have you got somewhere you can move her to so she can sit undisturbed by the others?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:50:07 am »
Hi Dixie, Yes I have a small coop with a run on it which I am going to put her into.  I've just got back from picking up the eggs for her and will go and move her.

I presume once she's setting in it's just a case of making sure she's eating and drinking now? 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:33:09 pm »
I'm soooo excited!!!

I've just been to check on Mrs Broody and there is a little black fluffy head poking out from under her wing.

So.....in answer to my original question, not too young to be broody.

Many thanks for all your help.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 01:36:28 pm »
Thats great news. You've just convinced me to utillise one of my girls who is in a broody mood.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS