Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning Wheel  (Read 31838 times)

rustyme

Re: Spinning Wheel
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »
yep will do ..... it will be later in the year before I get to doing the rest of it . I have to move loads of stuff ( rubbish) out of the shed before I can even get to the pole lathe and work bench , but I also have to grow the cotton and get hold of some fleece first anyway. So plenty of time ,hehehe, how many times have I said that before?....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 05:11:57 pm »
lol i have gotten to that stage and then some times i say am fed up so i have started a to do list and i am working my way thought it.
I am trying my best to  start at the top and work down the list started at 20 and i think it is at  15 but i haveadded more to it.

I got a program that create my todo list as webpage that stays on my desktop (i have a prog that does it for me) then when i complete a task i knock it off the list and refresh the webpage

rustyme

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »
 ;D....if I made a to do list it would take forever to write out ...and I would need shed full of hard drives to fit it all onto .....so I just do what comes along as and when ..... like last year between August and October ,I dug up 6,456 ragwort plants, and that didn't take into account the very small ones !!! There must have at least as many of those again....The place was covered in the stuff. ( And yes I know I am a saddo , counting the number of weeds dug up !!!)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
lol you got to do something will you diggy
:)

rustyme

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »
http://www.pmwoolcraft.co.uk/

loads of stuff on that link .....you may need a credit card with a high limit though ......glad I make my own stuff...... ;D

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 08:50:40 pm »
I love these links - had a look at this one and saw the link for Woolfest 2008 - I quite fancy going to that. My sister loves knitting and she's in Preston so we could have a girls' weekend at the woolfest. It's not quite Ibiza nights, is it?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 08:21:43 am »

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:31 pm »
rustyme.........you COUNT the ragwort??????  And I though I was bordering on the 'barking' by recording the number of eggs I get each day......for the last 10 years :o......but counting ragwort ....... now that's gotta be a project that no one else has.............or have they ??? ::) ??? ::) ??? ::)    Maybe this needs a new posting elsewhere........."What do Smallholders do that ordinary people don't????"
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 08:07:03 pm »
doesn't everyone then ?   ;D, well, it may not be as barking as it sounds? ....The thing is I had to limit the amount of time I was spending digging ragwort , you know , other things to do and all that... Well , it took 45 minutes to dig 150 ragwort up ....so that was the amount of time I spent each day digging them .  ::) eeeeerrrr but I did count them as well ....yes... ok it is totally barking  , I also measure how much ground I dig each day .....and how many buckets of stone I carry up the field.....oh god ......(shrinks into chair) I think I will stop there ....

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 09:00:53 am »
 :o :o :o   45 mins to dig 150 ragwort, you must be an absolute whirlwind. I'd get about 20 dug in that time.  Do you use a Ragfork or a Magic wand???  Were you taught at Hogworts
by any chance  ;) ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 12:40:32 pm »
lol...150 was just a nominal figure to aim for as there were so many to get rid of. The most I dug was 280, and I use the ragfork ....the wand got broken... ;) For the very small ones I used an ordinary table fork , the big old sort not a modern flat one, they bend to easily .( oh and I got expelled from Hogworts) Do you know how much pocket money they get at Hogwarts?  quideach (quidditch) heheheeeee
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:33:34 pm by rustyme »

Nigel

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:55 pm »
I have a spinning wheel for sale. It belonged to my father-in-law who is now deceased.  He bought it in an antique shop some years ago. I am no expert on spinning wheels, in fact I know almost nothing about them. I think it is an authentic antique but probably only for display purposes.  The cord is there that drives the wheel but it is broken.  It is a nice piece of decorative furtniture but you would need to decide whether it is the sort of thing you are looking for. I have taken a digital photo of it and if you would like I can send you a copy for you to look at.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »
Oh yes please Nigel. :)  Actually, is it possible to add the photo to the site so that other people can see it and advice if they think it can be used or is just for ornamental purposes?   Many thanks, M.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 02:26:18 pm »
you'll need to make sure it is a working machine not just a decorative one :)
the big giveaway is that there is no where for the wool to go on the 'flyer'
:)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 02:38:59 pm »
my mum got one from a local auction room for £40. It looks like the Ashford one a works brilliantly.

There is a Lady on another site who is part of the Cromford Spinsters, she is always happy to advise. pm me and will send the link.
http://www.geocities.com/arkwrightspinsters/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS