Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning Wheel  (Read 31829 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Spinning Wheel
« on: February 22, 2008, 08:47:47 pm »
Does anyone happen to have one for sale please??   ::)   I've been looking on Ebay a lot, but you hear all sorts of stories about them not being the real thing etc, that I've shied away.   Mind you, never done any spinning in my life and OH says it'll be a 5 minute wonder cos I can't sit still for more 10 mins.....then I'm off outside again.....or asleep.....or at work >:( >:(     So after I do find one, I'll need lessons ??? ???   Any suggestions gang?
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

Re: Spinning Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:58:14 pm »
Hello Blinkers,
                 I think one of the most popular spinning wheels used to be the Ashford ( I think it was called ? ) They at least do work !!! But till you get one you could make do with a very simple device easily made at home ...a drop spindle . Just a wooden disc and a bit of dowel , they go back years and years.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXid5cT0y8
 Above is a handy little intro to drop spindle work ....At least with that method it costs hardly anything to do , so makes no difference if you get fed up with it . Good luck ....Russ

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:40:23 am »
Rustyme - hey that's great,thanks for that.   
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 08:55:16 pm »
Try going to Wonderwool in Builth Wells or Woolfest in Cumbria.................every spinning wheel ever made will be there!!! Try the more modern designs....I'm told they are easier.........I'm not good at spinning so cannot comment :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:42 am »
Hey i was at wonderwool last may :)
I had my business hat on lol helpping my parents out with a second stand, i lost my voice from talking to so many people.
Unforunally missed out on fiberfest as my grandmother died :(

I have put a request in to help parents out this year but not sure if they'll let me. lol

blinkers i am in the middle of writting a blog herethat could help you out re the message you posted me, Also been in contact with my parents regardding your pm to me.
Linz
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:00:02 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:36:48 pm »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qnxRdJRcf3A

I have ordered some cotton seeds (100) which should arrive this week sometime ? ,and I found the above youtube clip which I found helpful . Thought that you may be interested too Blinkers ,Linz !!!!. I hope to grow linseed and hemp this year and now cotton too, so I will have to finish making my spinning wheel, or at least make up a few drop spindles....Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 06:28:26 pm »
good you-tube

One thing, I think you need two different style of machine for wool and cotton

I believes it down to tension/revelution of the wheel, I could be wrong, With a cotton spinning machine you also have a disstaff (spelling).

Linz

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 06:42:57 pm »
yep ... I can't remember all the details now , but my spinning wheel has a distaff. I seem to remember that the difference is to do with take up speed and so on . I can make as many different types of bobbin and flyer as needed so no probs on that score, but I will check out in more detail to see what I need for the different fibres. Better safe than sorry lol.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »
You'll have to post some picture so we can all see :)

rustyme

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:32 pm »
the spinning wheel is in the shed at the moment unfinished and right at the back ....so as soon as I can get some stuff moved out of the shed and can reach the sp.wheel I can take a few pics of it , and see how much I need to do to finish it....lol. I have a feeling that the actual wheel got left somewhere over the years , so I will need to make a new one ....just hope I can find the plans now ....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:33 pm »
hehe

rustyme

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:45:37 pm »
just found this site with the plans I have/had and made my wheel from . The one I made is spinning wheel plan number 1113 upright spinning wheel. Good to know even if I can't find my old plans I can get a new set. There is a set of plans for a really good loom in the weaving section too ....1105 42" foot power loom.
 http://www.craftdesigns.co.uk/spinning1.html

I will try to sort out the sp.wheel tomorrow now....got me thinking about it again ...lol...,it has only been 24 years in the making.....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:50 pm »
they look good :)

rustyme

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »
well, I managed to climb into the shed and dig out what I could find of the the sp. wheel. It is at least missing the wheel and one leg so far . I think that the leg is in the shed somewhere,fallen off the shelf , but the wheel I am almost sure is lost elsewhere !! :( Still most of it is there  :D, so it shouldn't be too hard to finish off.....Here it is anyway:

As you can see it needs a good cleanup ,(as does the shed),and a coat or two of danish oil , but apart from that all seems ok .  

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 04:48:32 pm »
good :)

You have to keep us updates to your progress :)

you can never really tell how things are going to work out some times
linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS