Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on land  (Read 2113 times)

scottydog

• Joined Aug 2012
advice on land
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
Hi all, can I have some thoughts on the cost of 5 hectares 60 X30 ft barn with electric, water and private sewage system, Included in the acreage is around 3 acres of broadleaf woodland in Devon /Cornwall border.

Just not sure what people think that it is worth.

Cheers
scottydog :wave:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: advice on land
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
I'll have a wild guess!
Taking the price per acre of farmland as around £8k
(see a recent topic on this: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=25660 )
gives the 12 acres a value of £96k add on the barn perhaps £15-20k - hard  to say without knowing materials/condition - and a bit for the services. So I'll guess £120k, assuming reasonable access and no likelihood of getting planning for house!

If i were looking to buy it, I'd be careful as to the exact area as you get more permitted development rights on agricultural holdings of five acres and above so I think it would be worth less if its just under and perhaps a bit more if just over five hectares.

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »
Depends on the type of land and the location, up here unimproved permanent pasture is around 3.5k/acre, don't reckon the woodland will be worth much more, reckon the barn is probable worth nearer 20k, so anything between 62k and whatever someone is prepared to pay.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:40 am »
Worth £120k ish, what it'll fetch - anyone's guess.  What's the guide price?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:55 am »
150k +   devon and cornwall 10/15k / acre, woodland is being snapped up as 'investments' as people are putting conveerted buses and movable structures in them for holiday spots. if its a nice plot it will go more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS