Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horse manure as fuel.  (Read 28174 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: horse manure as fuel.
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:47 am »
Might be the new thing, Sally. What could it be called? Au Cheval? With Horse Chestnuts? ;D ;D ;D
:roflanim: :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
Noticed this thread yesterday and OH has already set up our first 'drying rack' in the wood shed - it is an old Zbed frame with chicken wire on top and a layer of horse poo. Very exciting :excited: but may take until spring to dry out ::) Have also ordered a briquette maker to see how that goes and will keep you updated!
Where did you get your briquette maker Pauline ?
My neighbours 'horse apples' are a bit on the small side so I'd like to turn them into bigger 'logs'  ;)

How are your piggies getting on btw ?

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »
Hi Karen
I got it on Amazon, and it cost just over £20. There are loads to choose from on there. Hopefully this is a link to it   worhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Eko--Mania-Newspaper-Log-Maker/dp/B00177X5YS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1351353950&sr=8-7k   I have a couple of mini ponies with mini poos, so thought 'bricks' might  better :innocent:
The piggies are fine, but as I thought when I first saw her the spotty one is trouble :o Have not put them in with Matilda, the big, pig yet - was waiting till fencer has sorted out new paddocks so they will all go into a 'neutral' space, however this morning while getting their feed sorted out Spotty, who normally is on her back legs at the fence squealing her head off decided that she was a mountain goat and climbed over the fence into Matildas paddock and straight into her feed bucket. Well there was me in a mad panic thinking Matilda would kill her, but actually she wasn't bothered. Spotty then decided that a drink would be in order and off under Matilda and latched on. Matilda when into mother mode and just stood looking half asleep. Matilda got a bit fed up after a while and spotty got a couple of head buts, so she jumped back into her own paddock. I did think of just letting them all in together and keeping an eye on them but had to go out this morning so they are still apart and the fence heightened.
Oh life is never dull with pigs around :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Hope you are well x
and sorry long answer and totally off topic :innocent:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:07:25 pm by ppd »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »
Good answer though.   :pig: :pig:

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »
Hi all. Just spotted this post. My girlfriend gave me an article on horse poo as a fuel last year. I bought two different briquette makers... Firstly the two handled paper one and then a hydraulic type off eBay. I went for the hydraulic one (£50) as the compression was much better (2 tonne) so it pressed out more 'liquid' so dried quicker and the black was far more stable.

Stable... Get it?!? :-)

Anyway, put a shelf up in the greenhouse and they dried out in a month. Can report in my Firefox multi fuel stove they burned great.

I stopped making them however... Too slow to make and too messy.... Squirted in the eye several times!!!

I'd be interested if anyone has found a quicker cleaner alternative press?!?

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_LW38THm2s

Above is a link to a YouTube video from Eastern Europe. It's a DIY welded job and exactly why I've been trying to find but no luck. Let me know of anyone finds something similar for sale in the uk

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
Hi there everyone .My 1st post .I thought i'd give this thread a bit of a nudge and wondered if anyone had ran with this idea and has anything new to report......Cheers Verdi :farmer: :farmer:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 08:56:20 am »
This has fired the imagination, how about converting a hydraulic log splitter to press an old engine piston in a cylinder sleeve, this would push most of the moisture out and give you a log shape, or even an old cheese press,cider press or grape press,
Nuggets collected all summer would (assuming a dry summer) have less moisture content anyway, and local riding stables are usually glad to get rid of them. :idea:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »
Dry summer, Tiz.  What's that?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS