Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horse manure as fuel.  (Read 28168 times)

deepinthewoods

horse manure as fuel.
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »
following sally int norths post,
it would appear a successful trial. could you share some more details sally, and has anyone else tried this?

as i have an equestrian centre for a neighbour it could be an interesting sideline for me.

HappyHippy

Re: horse manure as fuel.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:49:27 pm »
Using for fuel, as in, drying it and burning it ? Or is it some kind of methane harvesting (haven't seen the post from Sally yet  ;))
Sounds interesting though (I too, also have access to horse poop  :excited:) so will be watching for replies :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »
I can announce that we have now completed our trial of dried horse poo as a fuel on our multi-fuel stove.

100%    Burns well, doesn't smell (not that we noticed, anyway), and keeps the fire in all night.  If you only burn wood with it, you can use the ash on the garden / veg plot, or whatever, and put the nutrients back in the soil after extracting the energy.

I don't know what else there is to say, really.

Oh, the ponies were stabled on hay half the time and out on grass the other half of the time.  I collected a few buckets full of 'kidneys', dried them and then burned them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:20 pm »
its a really well known source of fuel historically, more often associated with drier climates as drying the stuff can be a bit challenging in our climate, certainly the settlers that crossed america in wagons used horse apples as fuel as they crossed the prairie where wood wasn't always easy to find.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »
I know how sad this is going to make me sound, but I'm quite excited about this  :excited: :innocent:

Will have to get onto designing some kind of drying rack to stack in the shed and give it a go  :thumbsup:
Silly question, but how do you know when it's ready to burn ?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »
from experience long ago when you pick up a lump and its dry and hard, if you break it open it should be dry all the way through.

prehaps sally can photograph some horse poop for you  :excited: :excited: :excited:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »
Yep , makes a good camp fire too if you can get enough dried stuff . Drying is the only real problem in the uk .

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
i think its quite exciting too, i know of 2 heaps on this estate, each bigger than my house, there are between 30 and 100 horses here nearly every weekend. if i could get it bagged, then aquire an old open barn to rent,  rack it, and dry it, it could be worth a few quid eh? :innocent:

thanks sally, for the information.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
you want it fresh off the ground not off a heap so it drys rather than rots

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
yes, im not considering using the heaps, but these show horsey people must poo pick, if i placed strategic bags around maybe they could bag it for me ;)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
sounds like a plan!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »
doesnt it just!
where theres muck theres brass i'nt it. :D

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:25 pm »
The stuff in the big heaps , if it is free for the taking , could be bagged and sold . Big trailer full of bagged manure parked outside the allotments .

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »
yup ive done that before when ive been on my proverbial. ill be raiding it over the next few weekends for the deep beds.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »
Interesting!  With 25 Highland ponies here that manage to poop plenty this could be useful information, it's about time they earnt their keep  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS