Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question regarding building workshop on agricultural land...  (Read 5038 times)

Tim G

• Joined Oct 2012
Question regarding building workshop on agricultural land...
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
I asked this question in my introduction thread but someone advised i'd probably get more response here...

'I do have one question and hope someone on here can help... I have read loads about the process of getting permission to run a smallholding business, building an agricultural building etc and understand the most of it i think but i am wondering if running a farm machinery(more vintage than modern) repair and restoration business from a building on the land would be classed as agricultural or some kind of industrial? And if it is agricultural is it worth using it as a reason for needing a workshop on the land? I currently restore and repair classic VW's and American classic cars as a day job.'

Thanks

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Question regarding building workshop on agricultural land...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:02 am »
It wouldnt be agricultural, since only mending your own machinery for use on the land would qualify for that. It would be commercial/industrial and would def require PP.
However, the planners might look favourably on it as a 'farm diversification' - but that would be more likely if it involved the re-use of eg an old stone barn that wasnt suitable for modern livestock keeping standards, not sure it would get many brownie points if the building was a new one going up. However they might be encouraging to a business doing vintage farm machinery restoration as a concept.

Tim G

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:43 am »
Thank you very much for that reply, that's answered the question fully.

Cheers

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

The planners here were very funny about agricultural classification, and refused it for our outbuilding. This is despite 1/3 being used for storing animal feed, 1/3 of it being a goose house, and the final 1/3 being a workshop used to support the smallholding.  Their reason? "Well, in the photos, you're keeping your wheelie bin inside under cover, so that means it's domestic, not agricultural!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS