Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from the North Devon Coast  (Read 4291 times)

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
Hi from the North Devon Coast
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »
We are a couple who are battling our way through a 5 acre plot to make way for pigs, chickens and a couple of polytunnels for all our fruit and veg. The land has lay fallow for 30 years and was previously very productive market gardens.

We have a lot of ivy ground cover and the trees are ash, blackthorn and various willow. Can we keep pigs on it?
We need advice on a good rotovating breed. Any tips, advice and pointers gratefully received.

Looking forward to learning lots from this site and hopefully make contact with people doing the same.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Hi from the North Devon Coast
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:20:53 pm »
sounds fantastic

there will be others along with more knowledge of pigs, but sounds an ideal situation to let the 4 legged rotovators do the hard work for you!!!

welcome from central scotland!!!

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »
Thanks Bloomer :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »
Welcome from north Cumbria  :wave:

I used to live near the North Devon Coast - near Lynton - whereabouts are you?

Your venture sounds great, and you'll have loads of support both on here and in person locally through DASH.

On the face of it, pigs sound like a good plan.  Ivy could poison them if there was nothing else to eat but I think they will avoid things that are bad for them as long as they have plenty of choice.  Tamworths are certainly good rotovators, possibly too good once they've done the job you want...   :D  Most breeds will rootle as long as they're not overfed and become lazy, I think.  My OSBs have been great fun and good rootlers, not bad on the escaping front (accidental rather than systematic breaking out  :D), Saddlebacks a delight - very easy-going pigs - but I do think the OSB is the tastiest I've had so far.

What can you buy locally?  That'd be a good place to start!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
Great Sally thanks,

We are just on the outskirts of Combe Martin. We are just registering for DASH and will go to our first local meeting in November. We have been offered locally OSB, Berkshires, GOS and Saddlebacks.

Many thanks for advice, I bet Cumbria is looking lovely this time of year.

All the best  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:04:33 pm »
Small world, innit.  I lived in Trentishoe - Combe Martin was my nearest shops. 

Cumbria is frankly soggy blotting paper at the moment, we've had the wettest summer since records began  :gloomy:

Utterly beautiful when the sun does grace us with its presence, though  :sunshine: as it did yesterday.

I've given more info on your post in the Pigs section.  When you get your DASH membership book, if you want, PM me and I'll point you at some folks I know will give you good advice. ;) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
Thanks so much Sally,

You have been really helpful.

C :pig:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »
Ooh LittleMrsC we come to where you live every Aug/sept for a mini break to recover from plum harvest! Its a beautiful part of the world and the kids love it (I think the dinosaur park and Big Sheep contribute to that too!)

welcome to TAS from a gloomy Worcestershire  :wave:  Your project sounds similar to ours in that our land had been left to goodness knows what for a very long time! We live in what used to be a market gardeners property now with lots of fruit and exciting twists and turns in the land. Its great fun - enjoy!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »
Hi Plumseverywhere,

I think just about everyone in the UK has been or travelled through Combe Martin!......and everyone speaks fondly of it, it's a beautiful part of the world.

We are uncovering old farming machinery and implements or all descriptions as we chainsaw and brushcut our way through the tangled mess.......once the fire is lit it has an edge of Sleepy Hollow about it as the smoke finds its way through the trees.......but we will restore the sunlight and have it up and running by springtime.

Thanks for your comments, this site is oh so welcoming. :sunshine:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:36 pm »
Ooooh Sleepy Hollow  (mmmmmm Johnny Depp  ;D  )

Do you have a metal detector?  we have a fairly cheap one (about £30) and have uncovered some amazing and very old farming artefacts.  My rusty old scythe head takes pride of place on the mantel piece!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
 :wave: Hi and welcome from equally gloomy Shropshire.  Don't know about pigs as I'm not allowed to keep any, but goats are great for munching as well and usually like the stuff that other animals won't touch.

Just be careful you don't have ragwort, whatever you decide to put on the land.  It's lethal.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:00:44 pm »
 :wave: Hello from a wet and murky Powys

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:11 pm »
Hello and welcome from central Scotland.  :wave:

Tamworths are supposed to be the best rotovators, but in reality most of the big rare breeds are good at it.

Good luck!

Beth

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:15 am »
Welcome from a very foggy, dank & dismal  :gloomy:  North Yorkshire.
Have replied to you in pig forum too.
Oink Oink
Mandy :pig:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »
Hi  :wave: and welcome from the dry but cloudy Scottish Borders, good luck with the pigs.

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS