Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to buy...  (Read 12172 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Where to buy...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »
There are more different patterns in the first one - the second only gives you two basic, traditional ones with lots of variations. From the historical point of view, I prefer the Cornish one (and I used it for my own Guernsey); but purely from the knitting point of view the first one would probably be better!

Maybe you could get one or both in the library? Or even other ones on the subject? Fair Isle is knitted in the round, too; same pattern as Guernseys, really. A good book for that is "The Fair Isle Knitting Handbook", by Alice Starmore. Too complicated for me! I always got my fingers in a twist when I attempted that... I think you have to start very young to master it. ;D I'm all for plain knitting...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »
Thanks Ina, Perhaps I will put them on my christmas list
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »
Glad you found what you wanted Ina. I was going to suggest McAree in Edinburgh/Stirling too, because their online shop is always well stocked and although they don't go for the sensational discounts that other sites do, they always have what you look for, and in big quantities. Never had a single problem with them in over a year I use the site.

I had heard about knitting jumpers in the round too and actually have just bought myself a long circular needle to give it a go, although the amount of good yarn (with a high wool content) needed to make one in my size is so astonishingly high (in 50g or 100g balls), that makes me cry (and my bank account too).
I have received today two free patterns to knit in the round from Jamiesons and I swear I'll make one - takes what it takes!!
If you also want them, you can PM me or email Jamiesons directly and they will send the pdf.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »
Yes, knitting your own isn't cheap! I love Jamieson's wool - was absolutely gobsmacked first time I went into their shop and saw all those colours... And it's all "real" wool! Whereas the only "wool shops" in Aberdeen didn't actually sell any wool - only plastic stuff. Lucky if you found anything with at least 50% wool. (I use sock yarn with 25% acrylic content - whenever I tried making them with 100% wool, they didn't last long enough; but otherwise I only use 100% wool.)

I'll keep your offer in mind - don't need any more patterns at the moment, though - thanks for that! Need to finish what I've started first.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »
I love knitting in the round, apart from anything else the weight sits in your lap and not on the needles so knitting doesn't make your hands/wrists ache in the same way.

JC Rennie is a good place to buy proper yarn at good rates. If you buy the 500g cones, which is enough for at least a couple of jumpers I gather, it's about £25. For all wool, or wool and silk mix and some good colours. You have to do a bit of maths (explained on the site) to work out the weight of the cone wool, is the only problem. I'd have said that the Castle stuff on the cone (which is not the same as the handknit balls) is about double knitting, it's coming right on 4mm needles.

The cones are 'in the grease' so the finished article needs scouring afterwards. I've bought the Castle 500g and it's perfectly knittable with as it comes, feels a bit harsh, but softens beautifully when washed.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:43 pm »
Two jumpers from 500g - that sounds too good to be true! For my Guernsey I needed about 800g. OK, that's quite a large one, but still. And you usually need more if it's thicker yarn...
Strange.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »
From the JC Rennie website, under Technical info.

How many garments can I make from a 0.9kg cone (greasy)
This depends on what garment you are making and what size. We can normally make three or four sweaters with a 0.9 kg cone. Generally think backwards. If you are knitting 8 pairs of socks which you estimate will weigh 100 grams for each pair then a 0.9kg cone (greasy) should suffice.

My bad, they were talking about 900g cones not 500g.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »
Yeah, but they say 3 or 4 jumpers... Well - what can I say - they are all a lot slimmer than me!  :eyelashes:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »
But still, the stuff's good quality and not expensive.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:05 pm »
But still, the stuff's good quality and not expensive.

;D Don't tempt me - I have another three jumpers to knit before I am allowed to buy any new wool! I'm useless with wool... I hate shopping; every time I have to buy something (urgent need for "civilised" clothes for example) I come back with either books or wool. Or both. ::)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »
 ;D

I have so many UFOs ....... :P

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »

JC Rennie is a good place to buy proper yarn at good rates. If you buy the 500g cones, which is enough for at least a couple of jumpers I gather, it's about £25. For all wool, or wool and silk mix and some good colours. You have to do a bit of maths (explained on the site) to work out the weight of the cone wool, is the only problem. I'd have said that the Castle stuff on the cone (which is not the same as the handknit balls) is about double knitting, it's coming right on 4mm needles.

The cones are 'in the grease' so the finished article needs scouring afterwards. I've bought the Castle 500g and it's perfectly knittable with as it comes, feels a bit harsh, but softens beautifully when washed.

WOW WOW  :knit:  :knit:  :knit: Starry eyed now, I want to buy everything! I MUST finish my UFOs so I will not feel so bad at buying more yarn  :innocent:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
I've just done the 'sums' for the 500g Castle cone and it contains 1500m of yarn.

This sweater, on Ravelry, takes that amount of DK yarn, for a medium.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:34 pm »
I daren't go anywhere near wool shops as I always want to buy lots and I've already got more yarn than I know what to do with.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 08:39:11 pm »
argh you guys are far too tempting!

Some of those cones say machine knit vs hand knit. What is the difference between them in terms of yarn, and can you hand knit with yarn meant for machines?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS